Photo

Where does the VidOn box store data & scraping question?

Software

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 SouthWestSteve

SouthWestSteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:VidOn Box, Other

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:46 AM

Hi folks, My first post... I wasn't sure if this should be here on or the xbmc section, but I think that it is 'box specific'. I have just ordered the VidOn box, and have only tinkered with xbmc in a test capacity on my pc, so I do not know a great deal about either! I'm coming to the VidOn from a Tvix N1. With this player I used an external pc-based program called Tvixie to scrape and create the summaries, images etc that the player displayed. All neccessary data and images are stored alongside the film in the same folder so backing up was very easy. Does the VidOn box store data only within the folder of the movie, or is there another file location where data is stored? Thanks, Steve

#2 SouthWestSteve

SouthWestSteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hi,

I have the VidOn box on order and I'm looking to see if there is any 'preperation' I can be doing in advance.  I have a large collection of movies, tv series and music on a 16TB ReadyNAS drive which is currently networked to my Tvix N1 player (which doesn't use nfo files).

I'm going to start with the movies... they are each in a folder with the correct movie name. Within the folder, some are mkv's, some are iso, some are video_ts, and there are a small mumber of mt2s and mp4 files too.

I have installed xbmc on my pc together with a selection of movies copied into a test folder so that I can get accustomed to it before the VidOn box arrives :dizzy:  !  Do you think it's a good idea to let xbmc on my pc scrape the movies now so that the nfo files are in place before the VidOn arrives? Do I need to transfer any files from my pc to the VidOn when it does arrive?

I'd appreciate any advice from other 'upgraders'!

Thanks,

Steve

#3 nexzus

nexzus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:16 PM

XBMC stores metadata in a database, freesql, I believe. The actual path is platform independent, but on android, it's something like /Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc13/.files/xbmc/userdata/db

As of the latest Vidon XBMC, there exists methods to have this database as a centralized (running on a different system) MySQL database. This allows multiple Vidon Boxes to use the same metadata database.

#4 SouthWestSteve

SouthWestSteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the reply.  So does that mean there's no point in running xbmc on my pc an advance, or is there a way of transferring the pc-created databse to the VidOn box?

#5 nexzus

nexzus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

Like I mentioned in the other post, XBMC data is centralized.

Though it would be a good idea to make sure that (Windows) XBMC can correctly scrape your media. Scraping is not the quickest process, nor is managing your media library with a 6 button remote.

You're off to a good start with each movie in separate folders. IME, XBMC works best if you append the movie's release year to the folder name, and replace colons with dashes:

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

You will want some NFO files though. If you mainly have English movies, they'll be used for sort order.

For example, in my Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001), I have a movie.nfo file that looks like this:

<movie>

<sorttitle>Harry Potter 1</sorttitle>

</movie>

http://themoviedb.org/movie/671

Deathly Hallows Part 2 looks like this:

<movie>

<sorttitle>Harry Potter 8</sorttitle>

</movie>

http://themoviedb.org/movie/12445

with the other ones in between.

Here's some more info: http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_Files

#6 GregiBoy

GregiBoy

The Wizard of Oz

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • Devices:RT1186 Linux
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.6
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • SDK:v 1.3
  • Android Phone:Medion AP4
  • Android Pad:Medion Lifetab

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:40 PM

As Wolly said, if you set up XBMC on your PC running MySQL (See XBMC Wiki for details), the VidOn Box can use the metadata contained within the MySQL database on the PC..

#7 GregiBoy

GregiBoy

The Wizard of Oz

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • Devices:RT1186 Linux
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.6
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • SDK:v 1.3
  • Android Phone:Medion AP4
  • Android Pad:Medion Lifetab

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

Generally, I find no need to provide NFO files at all and no need to use the folder structure above.

I have all my movies held in a YEAR->Genre structure.

eg:

\\NAS\Movies\2014\Action

\\NAS\Movies\2014\Science Fiction

Since the release of the new Gotham VidOn XBMC, I am using a centralised MySQL database which does all the scraping on the PC.

#8 SouthWestSteve

SouthWestSteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:51 AM

Thanks nexzus and GregiBoy - I appreciate the replies. And thanks for merging - makes more sense now.

After mulling over the options, these are my thoughts; Since my PC is not always on, (and I do not trust my skills!) I am reluctant to 'mess about' with a MySQL centralised database although I suppose this could reside on my ReadyNAS with the movies. As mentioned, the prospect of sitting with the remote infront of the TV and managing my media through the VidOn box sounds a bit tedious. Maybe I'll go through my collection using XBMC on the PC or maybe Media Companion (Thoughts?), then export the nfo's to the actual file location ready for xbmc on the VidOn box to read.

Does this sound like a plan?

Cheers, and Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users