Photo

Please tell us: If your receiver can or can't pass HD audio and/or 3D video automatically, here?

VidOn XBMC

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 stewfo

stewfo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:05 AM

Hi

I am seeing a lot of threads about sync, buffering issue's but some of us are not getting HD audio as promised.

"VidOn XBMC continues the list of home theatre necessities with support for AC3/DTS 5.1 SPDIF pass-through and True HD/DTS-HD HDMI pass-through so you can expect nothing but the best and truest sound."

Lets help VidOn.me out and start listing the receivers that have (possible) handshake issue's and DO NOT support HD Audio so they can deliver what they have promised.

My Settings are: -
Audio Output -->HDMI
Passthrough --> On
Audio Output = HDMI
Speaker Configuration = 5.1
Passthrough Output = On
Boost volume level on downmix = Off
Output Stereo to all speakers = Off
------------------------------------
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver = Yes
DTS capable receiver = Yes
AAC capable receiver = Yes
Multichannel LPCM capable receiver = Yes
TrueHD capable receiver = Yes
DTS-HD capable receiver = Yes
-----------------------------------
Passthrough output mode = Mode 1
Play GUI Sounds = Always

List of AVR's that DO NOT support HD audio pass-through: -
Denon AVR-3808CI  -
Onkyo TX-NR616    -
Onkyo TX-NR626    - no DTS-HD Audio
Onkyo TX-NR727    - Martinz
Onkyo HT-R791     -
Onkyo HT-R391     - Jhortwo
Onkyo TX-NR828    -
Pioneer SC-05     - sometimes bit stream HD Audio
Pioneer VSX S300  - no Audio playback with 3D ISO's
Pioneer VSX-552   - Preecha
Pioneer VSX-922   -
Sony STR-DA5800ES -
Sony HT-CT370     - racas78
Sony STR-DN850    -
Yamaha RX-S600    - Stewfo - No True HD or DTS-HD
Yamaha RX-V573    -

List of AVR's that DO support HD audio pass-through: -
Denon AVR-1913    -
Denon AVR-XR2000  -
Denon ACR-3311c   -
Denon AVR-4520    -
Denon AVR-S900w   -
Onkyo TX-SR606    -
Onkyo TX-SR607    -
Onkyo TX-NR609    -
Onkyo TX-NR636    - SeeMoreDigital |
Pioneer VSX-822   -
Pioneer VSX-1023  -
Pioneer VSX-324   -
Pioneer VSX-1122  -
Yamaha RX-V467    -
Yamaha RX-V675    -
Yamaha RX-V3900   -

List of AVR's that DO NOT support 3D pass-through automatically: -
Denon AVR-1913    -
Denon AVR-X5200   -
Onkyo HT-R558     -
Onkyo TX-NR609    -
Onkyo NR737       -
Yamaha RX-V3800   -

disclaimer: I have not tested any of the above receivers (except the RXS600) post if you see anything that is incorrect.

• Joe and cideRodiacy like this

#2 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:10 PM

MODERATOR REQUEST:

Hi everyone,

Please understand that the purpose of this topic is to collect specific data only, it is not to ask and answer questions. So please do not use this topic to submit and discuss report bugs, make requests, ask for firmware updates or moan. Any such posts/comments will either be moved, removed or struck-out!

That being said, if you wish to submit a formal bug report, please refer to the following: -
  • Before submitting your bug report, please check the forum to see if someone else has reported the same issue.
  • Do not lump different bug reports/issues together within a single topic, as it leads to off-topic posts and makes the bugs reports along with their solutions impossible to track.
  • If your bug is relating to VidOn XMBC or VidOn Media Center, please state the version number at the beginning of your topic title.
Also. For all those people who want to watch 3D movies and have the VidOn Box directly connected to a surround sound amplifier and are having problems getting 3D and HD audio to work. Please be aware of the following: -
  • Make sure your 3D.iso file is a 'full disc' back-up.
  • Make sure your HDMI leads are the 'High-Speed' type.
  • Make sure your TV supports 3D.
  • Make sure your surround sound amplifier supports 3D (ie: HDMI v1.4 compliant with 3D pass-through)!
For more info about why a High-Speed HDMI lead is so important, here's a link to the 'Finding The Right Cable' web page, which is located on the 'official' HDMI Licensing/Association web site...

Sufficed to say, the HDMI leads between your 'VidOn Box' and your 'Surround Sound Amplifier'. And your 'Surround Sound Amplifier' to your 'Display Device' will both need to be 'High-Speed' types...

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

#3 codekipper

codekipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:41 AM

Great idea....should we also try to use the same media to confirm functionality?. Something like what is in http://samplemedia.linaro.org. I've had no problems with audio so far on my Yamaha RX-V675 but maybe I should try something else which people are having problems with.

CK

• Joe likes this

#4 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• VidOn.me Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationBeijing
  • Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.4 Beta
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.6
  • SDK:v 1.2
  • Android Phone:TY K-Touch E88
  • Android Pad:Kindle Fire 1

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:21 AM

Great idea....should we also try to use the same media to confirm functionality?. Something like what is in http://samplemedia.linaro.org. I've had no problems with audio so far on my Yamaha RX-V675 but maybe I should try something else which people are having problems with.

CK

Hey codekipper,

That is a great idea, test all of your audio equiptment so we can work to identify any and all problems and then fix them.

Thank you all for your help!

Joe

#5 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:32 AM

Just-in-case people don't know. Please be aware of the following: -
  • DTS-HD MA audio streams placed within either the .m2ts and .mkv container will possess the standard DTS 'core'.
  • Dolby TrueHD audio streams placed within the .m2ts container will possess the standard Dolby Digital 'core'.
  • Dolby TrueHD audio streams placed within the .mkv container will not possess the standard Dolby Digital 'core'.
 Also. For all those people who want to watch 3D movies and have the VidOn Box directly connected to a surround sound amplifier and are having problems getting 3D and HD audio to work. Please be aware of the following: -
  • Make sure your 3D.iso file is a 'full disc' back-up.
  • Make sure your HDMI leads are the 'High-Speed' type.
  • Make sure your TV supports 3D.
  • Make sure your surround sound amplifier supports 3D (ie: HDMI v1.4 compliant with 3D pass-through)!
For more info about why a High-Speed HDMI lead is so important, here's a link to the 'Finding The Right Cable' web page, which is located on the 'official' HDMI Licensing/Association web site...

Sufficed to say, the HDMI leads between your 'VidOn Box' and your 'Surround Sound Amplifier'. And your 'Surround Sound Amplifier' to your 'Display Device' will both need to be 'High-Speed' types...

Cheers

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

#6 hdmkv

hdmkv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

Great thread. Receivers that DO pass both 3D and HD audio:

- Onkyo TX-NR636

- Pioneer VSX-822

#7 nexzus

nexzus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:23 PM

My Pioneer VSX-1023 passes the HD audio.

I don't use 3D, so I can't test that. Though the receiver can do 4K.

#8 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:52 AM

Pioneer SC-05 

Av200 & Vidon box will sometimes bit stream hd codecs to my Receiver.  Seems to be random and not repeatable, I can sometimes get it to bit stream by forcing the HDMI handshake by changing the source on the receiver for 3-5 seconds and switch back.

I haven't had any lip syn issues when the audio is playing.

#9 codekipper

codekipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:14 AM

Can confirm Yamaha RX-V675 displayed the correct decoder when using Toy Story of Terror 1080p DTS-HD. This seems like a good site for samples http://www.demo-worl...on-trailers.php. I'm not sure if there is anything in the http://samplemedia.linaro.org/ which is HDaudio.

CK

#10 Caramba69

Caramba69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:35 PM

I have a Philips 50pfl7956k and it isn't playing 3D. I have a 3D blu ray player connected to the TV which works perfect. Same setup works on a Sony TV.

http://www.philips.d...2/.../ubersicht

Of course I have enabled 3D. Did some more tests. Connected to another Sony TV directly 3D works. If I connect to the same TV through my Onkyo NR737 3d doesn't work anymore. HD audio is fine.

#11 woronczak

woronczak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Devices:Vidon Box, M8 S802
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:23 PM

The Pioneer VSX-S300 will play audio for 2D Blurays isos and non-bluray iso 3D files (ie TAB or SBS) normally (including HD audio).
Unfortunately for 3D bluray isos, when playing back in 3D mode, it will not output any sound at all (with passthrough on / off; doesn't matter if you choose a DTS-HD / TrueHD or Dolby Digital / DTS track = no sound at all).
When playing the same 3D Bluray iso in 2D mode, the sound works normally.

I can also confirm that Pioneer VSX-324 works normally for HD audio and 3D.

I noticed that the info my earlier post for the Pioneer VSX-S300 has been added to to top but as "does not support 3D". I might not have made it clear in my post, but when playing back 3D Bluray Isos in 3d mode, although the video displays in 3D, there is absolutely no audio. So it's not 3D video that doesn't work - it's the audio playback with 3D bluray isos only that doesn't work.

#12 hoangthanhnt

hoangthanhnt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh, Vietnam
  • VidOn XBMC:v 14.1.0
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.8

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:03 PM

My home cine :

Vidon Box (VMC, XBMC, 3D Bluray ISO) -> Onkyo HT-R558 -> Optoma HD26 Projector : No 3D . HD Audio works fine

Vidon Box (VMC, XBMC, 3D Bluray ISO) -> Optoma HD26 ProjectorNo 3D .

Summary :

Onkyo HT-R558 : not support 3D

Optoma HD26 Projector : not support 3D

#13 fba

fba

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • VidOn XBMC:Old Version
  • Android Phone:Nexus 5, others
  • Android Pad:Galaxy Tab II, others

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:44 AM

I tested two receivers that I have.  Both Pioneer.   Testing was done with a couple of different 2D ISOs both Blu-ray and DVD.  (Didn't test any 3D discs.)   Aside from some tweaks to volume levels to make the surround sound decent, there is no unusual configuration on these.

Vidon Box (VMC) -> Pioneer Elite VSX-70 : All audio seems to work.

Vidon Box (VMC) -> Pioneer VSX-1019-AH : Stereo audio works (can hear the menu selection sounds, and previews that are in stereo), but no higher audio support works.

Would be happy to submit logs or any other data that would help.

- Video system : Sharp 80" 3D TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-70, Definitive Audio Speakers, 40+ TB (hardware RAID 5) Linux server for Blu-ray and DVD ISOs.

- Network : (2x) HP 3400cl switches, HP 1810-24G, Cisco ASA 5520 router/firewall, Aerohive wireless APs

#14 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• VidOn.me Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationBeijing
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.4 Beta
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.6
  • Android Phone:TY K-Touch E88
  • Android Pad:Kindle Fire 1

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:34 AM

Hello Everyone,

In response to fba's post, please submit any and all logs you may have regarding 'HD audio pass-through' not working properly. Normally I would tell you to let me know as soon as you have sent logs so I can let the developers know to look out for them, but I will be out of the office for the next few days, so if you have specific questions or comments please direct them to Wolly (sorry Wolly....) and he will help you.

By the way, this is a great forum topic and also very helpful to us.

Joe

#15 WMConey

WMConey

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
  • VidOn XBMC:v 14.2.0
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • iPad:Air
  • iOS on iPad:8.1.0
  • Android Phone:OnePlus One

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:30 AM

Using a Pioneer VSX-1122 here. HD Audio passes through and is played.

#16 gguy888

gguy888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:11 PM

my Onkyo 609 can do the pass through of HD audio but my wireless Sony MDR-HW700DS Headphone Processor cannot!

The Sony Headphone come with a box/switch with one output to my Amp, 3 HDMI input from my different sources, now with my PS4, HiMedia 600a and the Vidon box.

I tried to turn off all HD audio setting in the XBMC, which can output the DTS and Dobly no problem, but once I turn on the HD audio setting, then I dont hear a thing.

#17 SimonSparks

SimonSparks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:14 PM

I can confirm that my DENON AVR-4520 has no problems with both HD audio formats.

#18 Misux

Misux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:19 AM

Hi!

For me with 13.2 Gotham all Audio is working over hdmi on my Pioneer LX86.

When i Install Kodi 14 i have only stereo! And i jave always huge buffering Problems!

MODERATOR NOTE
As you can see your 'off-topic' comments regarding 'non' VidOn XBMC builds and buffering issues have been struck out... 

#19 raskus

raskus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:20 AM

Only stereo for me no matter what settings i use.

I have a Pioneer VSX-922

#20 cedenoas

cedenoas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSan Juan, Puerto Rico
  • Devices:Raspberry Pi
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.5
  • iPad:mini 2
  • iOS on iPad:7.1.0
  • Android Phone:Galaxy S4
  • Android Pad:Galaxy Tab 4

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:05 PM

TX-NR626 no HD audio. DTS and DD works fine

EDIT:
I Sent my log and dump file just now.
I'm testing with fast and the furious 6.
Receiver: Onkyo tx nr-626
Tv: panasonic viera
Problem: no dts-hd audio.

EDIT: Vid on.me SDK:1.2
WMC: 0.0.1.5
VidOn XBMC version 0.0.0.3 Beta

Let me know if you need more information or a screen shoot of my settings.

thanks a lot...
  • cedenoas likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VidOn XBMC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users