• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 cBc

cBc

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSoCal, USA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

I installed Chrome from the PlayStore, thinking of trying to see if watching Netflix thru a browser might get better PQ than the stand alone app. Installed it, tried to open it - the remote became totally unresponsive after I clicked the Chrome icon, in fact the screen was frozen, and the green LED on the front went out.
I pulled out the power cord , rebooted & retried. Same result - total lock, light stays on this time.

If this box is running Android OS, then it *should* be able to use the apps in the PlayStore. Shouldn't it?

Edit: Can anyone offer a solution to this issue? How can I get Chrome uninstalled when I am getting "Google Services error" message when attempting to do so using PlayStore? XBMC is now crashing whenever I try to use it.

#2 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

Try to reset the box if you can not use it normally, I'm going to test the Chrome app again and will be back to give you a feedback.

#3 cBc

cBc

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSoCal, USA

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

Thanks Wolly, I will try that today.

updating, I was able to reset the box back to factory default (although as others have mentioned, it left my Settings in XBMC etc as they were before). Applied updated SDK again to bring it back to current revisons. Will not attempt Chrome again until I hear back from you.

#4 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:40 AM

I just updated the box to SDK 1.1, downloaded and installed the Chrome Browser. Tried to open a website, everything went well, no frozen.

See the video

There's no error when I clicked the INSTALL
Attached File  IMG_0793.JPG   212.08KB   0 downloads

#5 cBc

cBc

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSoCal, USA

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

Wolly,
thanks for testing, but my issue was that I was able to install it from Store, but after that when I tried to open it for the first time nothing happened, Chrome didn't open & the screen/mouse was then unresponsive. I couldn't get anything to work until I pull the power cord & restart unit. When I tried Chrome again after the restart, exact thing happens. And I couldn't even get back into Store to try uninstalling Chrome, started getting "google services error" when attempting to open PlayStore.

#6 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

Wolly,
thanks for testing, but my issue was that I was able to install it from Store, but after that when I tried to open it for the first time nothing happened, Chrome didn't open & the screen/mouse was then unresponsive. I couldn't get anything to work until I pull the power cord & restart unit. When I tried Chrome again after the restart, exact thing happens. And I couldn't even get back into Store to try uninstalling Chrome, started getting "google services error" when attempting to open PlayStore.

Reboot your box and uninstall Chrome from "Advanced Setting"-->"App"-->"All", then try to install it again.

#7 cBc

cBc

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSoCal, USA

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:09 PM

Reboot your box and uninstall Chrome from "Advanced Setting"-->"App"-->"All", then try to install it again.

Hi, it was uninstalled when I did the box reset. I will again try to install Chrome tonight & see what happens & report back.

#8 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

Hi, cBc

Our box reproduced the Chrome issue, when clicked on the Chrome icon, the box was frozen. Have reported this problem to the developers.

#9 cBc

cBc

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSoCal, USA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

Then it sounds more like software issue than hardware, so I will keep my box for now to await developments, thanks
I also note that when Chrome was installed still on my box, XBMC seemed to be suffering more problems like unexpected closings & crashes. Since Chrome is off my box (at least all of last night) XBMC became more stable.

I have tried using them (Ice Films, Hulu, Mashup, etc), but virtually every one exhibits a script error & doesn't work. I understand that these were not created by VidOn team, but why include them if they aren't even working?

#10 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

The third-party apps always cause some unexpected problems, so if only Chrome can freeze your box at present, could you please use a alternative browser? We will fix this problem. We appreciate for your cooperation. :smile:

We will update VidOn XBMC to 13 recently, please wait the new version. Thank you~ :smile:
  • cBc likes this

#11 Tar_Elentil

Tar_Elentil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.6
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • SDK:v 1.3
  • Android Phone:Xiaomi Mi4
  • Android Pad:MiPad

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:09 AM

Hey everyone, 

Experienced the exact same problem with Chrome, and with Dlophin Browser as well. Its all about Firefox on the VidOn Box! Also, Orbot/Orweb for Tor surfing. 

#12 gbunter

gbunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:15 PM

Hi,

My experience is that I had to buy a wireless keyboard/mouse combo (2.4G Rii Mini i8) to be able to move around the apps adequately.

Netflix - I can login to my account and search movies and TV shows, and can play them fine. Problem exists where there is a TV series with more than 6 episodes, you can not scroll down the screen to view any more. Also scrolling sideways does not bring up extra titles of movies, etc just grey squares.

Hulu+ - Can not login at all, comes up with a "services" error, tried an un-install and re-install.

Google Account - can not login, complains about user and password error, have tested this on other devices and works fine.

Home screen - all I have after upgrading is the Apps and Settings tabs, nothing else, they have all gone?

#13 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• VidOn.me Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationBeijing
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.4 Beta
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.6
  • SDK:v 1.2
  • Android Phone:TY K-Touch E88
  • Android Pad:Kindle Fire 1

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:45 AM

Hi,

My experience is that I had to buy a wireless keyboard/mouse combo (2.4G Rii Mini i8) to be able to move around the apps adequately.

Netflix - I can login to my account and search movies and TV shows, and can play them fine. Problem exists where there is a TV series with more than 6 episodes, you can not scroll down the screen to view any more. Also scrolling sideways does not bring up extra titles of movies, etc just grey squares.

Hulu+ - Can not login at all, comes up with a "services" error, tried an un-install and re-install.

Google Account - can not login, complains about user and password error, have tested this on other devices and works fine.

Home screen - all I have after upgrading is the Apps and Settings tabs, nothing else, they have all gone?

G

Hello gbunter,

You experiencing this problem because Netflix is not optimized for Android boxes, we believe it is because they will soon attempt to break into this market and thus wish not to share their products with the likes of future competition.

#14 gbunter

gbunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:11 PM

Hi All,

I have come to the conclusion that you can forget about Netflix and Hulu on this device, they are useless! Just go in to XBMC and install the Genesis add-on and watch any movie and TV series for free. But wait, this system is so [Beep] it doesn't even work properly!!! I installed XBMC on my Windows 7 pc and installed the add-on and was watching movies in under 10 min. I spent 5hrs on the VidOn.me box and it still would not work.

Does anyone out there know how to hack this device so I can install OS on it that works, this is a waste of money, shame it has some much potential, even Openelec XBMC work better?

Not Happy
Glenn

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Apps on Box

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users