Photo

Discussions regarding the installation of unapproved versions of KitKat 4.4.x on the AV200

Firmware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 zconners

zconners

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCentral District, Hong Kong

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:24 AM

I've been searching for a way to update vidon av200 box to android kitkat 4.4 for days. Finally I found mele - another android box manufacturer released their official android 4.4 sdk for m8, which is also an allwinner a31 android box, same as vidon av200 box. I thought this 4.4 sdk might also work on my av200 and decided to have a try and luckily, successfully. Now in the spirit of helping others, I would like to share my solution here, step by step. I hope this doesn't violate any community rules and is helpful to other av200 users.

Tools needed: PhoenixCard
Download: http://www.haoyuelec.../A10-A20/tools/

Android 4.4 img:
Download: Dropbox  https://www.dropbox....-ml220.img?dl=0

Steps:

1. Install and then start PhoenixCard.exe on your PC, insert a empty SD card into the card reader, and connect it to PC.

2. Click "DiskCheck", select the SD card form drop down menu.

Attached File  1.png   80.06KB   9 downloads

3. Click "Format to Normal" to format the SD card 

Attached File  3.png   55.74KB   11 downloads

Attached File  4.png   76.96KB   9 downloads

4. Click "Img File" and find the image file, make sure "Product" is selected under Write Mode

Attached File  2.png   66.75KB   5 downloads

5. Click "Burn" and wait till finished

Attached File  5.png   64.24KB   5 downloads

Attached File  6.png   82.13KB   8 downloads

6. Now disconnect the power adapter from AV200 and insert the SD card into SD slot. Turn the box over and press “Reset Button” and hold there while reconnecting the power adapter. When the signal light blinking in red and blue, release “Reset Button” and wait. The box is starting reinstalling the firmware now.  

7. When LED turns to red only means the flashing process is done. Remove the SD card and press power button to finish the upgrade. Again wait several minutes till it boots to Android desktop.

Now you will see the MELE Launcher with totally Chinese. Don’t worry, follow the steps of the photos shown to set the language to English or others you wish.

Attached File  7.jpg   98.68KB   15 downloads

Attached File  8.jpg   109.83KB   13 downloads

Attached File  9.jpg   105.44KB   13 downloads

Attached File  10.jpg   94.51KB   15 downloads

Attached File  11.jpg   135.14KB   15 downloads

Don’t forget to install the VidOn XBMC. Enjoy the new Android 4.4 on your av200 now!

Attached File  12.jpg   145.02KB   11 downloads

Attached File  13.jpg   94.85KB   11 downloads
  • Joe likes this

#2 nghiadhd

nghiadhd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh, Vietnam
  • Devices:AV200
  • VidOn XBMC:v 1.1.0.2
  • iPad:mini 2
  • iOS on iPad:8.1.1
  • Android Phone:LG G2

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:07 AM

Could you confirm that Vidonme XBMC can play any video files. In the past, I tried to flash the Android 4.4 from MeLe, however I cannot play any video file with Vidonme XBMC (it auto exit).

#3 zconners

zconners

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCentral District, Hong Kong

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:31 AM

Could you confirm that Vidonme XBMC can play any video files. In the past, I tried to flash the Android 4.4 from MeLe, however I cannot play any video file with Vidonme XBMC (it auto exit).

Yes I had also crash problem with Vidon XBMC 1.1.0.2, but after I installed the beta version of Vidon XBMC Gotham (v 0.0.0.1, ) which was posted on XBMC forum by wolly[Link Removed], movie playback works fine.

#4 nghiadhd

nghiadhd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:34 AM

Thanks zconners.

It sounds great! I'll try it on today

#5 nghiadhd

nghiadhd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:08 AM

I tried the Android 4.4 (MeLe) with Vidon.me XBMC 0.0.0.1

- Android 4.4 is non root. I tried some Chinese root tool but not success

- Frame buffer on Home is still 720p, so some skin displays incorrectly. Hoping Vidon.me up to 1080p (My TV is 32") 

- I can install VMC but cannot run. In log file said that cannot load libcoreplayer.so. Seem VMC try to lookup core player for play video on File Manager

- XBMC 0.0.0.1 can play file but when I switch to other file, it crashes

#6 fba

fba

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • VidOn XBMC:Old Version
  • SDK:v 1.2
  • Android Phone:Nexus 5, others
  • Android Pad:Galaxy Tab II, others

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:05 PM

The frame buffer settings are going to be controlled by Android itself.   So, when using a firmware not from VidOn.me, you are going to have to talk to the people that created the firmware to see if they can enable 1080p mode.   There isn't much that VidOn.me can do about it.   (However, it does sound like the VidOn.me player changes the output to 1080p when it is playing video.  But, if you make a change like that outside of Android itself, and don't change it back when you are done, you will probably end up with weird results when Android renders the desktop.)

- Video system : Sharp 80" 3D TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-70, Definitive Audio Speakers, 40+ TB (hardware RAID 5) Linux server for Blu-ray and DVD ISOs.

- Network : (2x) HP 3400cl switches, HP 1810-24G, Cisco ASA 5520 router/firewall, Aerohive wireless APs

#7 nghiadhd

nghiadhd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:00 AM

The frame buffer settings are going to be controlled by Android itself. So, when using a firmware not from VidOn.me, you are going to have to talk to the people that created the firmware to see if they can enable 1080p mode. There isn't much that VidOn.me can do about it. (However, it does sound like the VidOn.me player changes the output to 1080p when it is playing video. But, if you make a change like that outside of Android itself, and don't change it back when you are done, you will probably end up with weird results when Android renders the desktop.)

I have chance to use some Android Box. I see that the resolution is pre configure on kernel. We cannot change the real resolution on settings, maybe Android is design for phone/tablet. I don't know Android TV has resolved this issue that make it compatible with many TVs or not

Other issue of Android is OS upgrading, it takes long time to update to higher version and many devices with specific CPUs is cons. That's is reason it has many fork XBMC version (Vidon XBMC, MiniX XBMC, SPMC, ...).

#8 thomash

thomash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationDenmark
  • SDK:v 3.1.3
  • iPhone:6
  • iPad:3

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

I tried this to mine, and when the flashing are finish and i removes the SD card, the LED continues to light red.. What to do?

Edit:

Ok, somehow i managed to get it work.. It is now running this version, and Ive installed Kodi. It seems to work fine, but I can't get passthrough sound to work?

#9 nghiadhd

nghiadhd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:50 AM

I tested with this rom many time. Kodi cannot run video with high bitrate. And it doesn't have libCorePlayer so you cannot run VMC or Vidon XBMC

Seem Mele doesn't support for AllWinner A31 chip any more so Vidon.me which is depended on vendor can give us the 4.4 rom

#10 fba

fba

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • VidOn XBMC:Old Version
  • SDK:v 1.2
  • Android Phone:Nexus 5, others
  • Android Pad:Galaxy Tab II, others

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

thomash - 

The sound passthrough issue seems to be a problem with the AllWinner SDK.   This is the same problem that people are having with the VidOn box.   Unfortunately, based on nghiadhd's comments it sounds like even after Allwinner fixes their SDK issues, we will probably not get passthrough working properly on the AV200.   :bs2:     I "worked around" the broken passthrough issue on my VidOn box by using an optical cable to my receiver.   You'll only get 5.1 sound, but it should allow you to get sound.

Also, FWIW, I am using the SDK 3.1.8 from MeLE, and it seems to fix the "black screen on boot" issue that the earlier SDKs had.   And, the VidOn XBMC versions prior to Gotham seem to work fine on that version.   (Gotham doesn't seem to show any video.   I don't know if that is a symptom of not having a subscription, or something else.)

Finally, another FWIW, having the latest version of Android on your box really isn't that important unless there is some feature that was added that you need for running a 3rd party app.   XBMC uses native code running on the CPU, so none of the speed ups touted by the Android team apply to XBMC.  (It will only apply to apps that are written in Java and compiled to the Dalvik runtime environment.   And, in my experience, the speed increases weren't that great anyway.)  I understand the desire to be "current" on stuff like this, but in this case, there is little value to being more current.

- Video system : Sharp 80" 3D TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-70, Definitive Audio Speakers, 40+ TB (hardware RAID 5) Linux server for Blu-ray and DVD ISOs.

- Network : (2x) HP 3400cl switches, HP 1810-24G, Cisco ASA 5520 router/firewall, Aerohive wireless APs

#11 nghiadhd

nghiadhd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:15 AM

thomash - 

The sound passthrough issue seems to be a problem with the AllWinner SDK.   This is the same problem that people are having with the VidOn box.   Unfortunately, based on nghiadhd's comments it sounds like even after Allwinner fixes their SDK issues, we will probably not get passthrough working properly on the AV200.   :bs2:     I "worked around" the broken passthrough issue on my VidOn box by using an optical cable to my receiver.   You'll only get 5.1 sound, but it should allow you to get sound.

Also, FWIW, I am using the SDK 3.1.8 from MeLE, and it seems to fix the "black screen on boot" issue that the earlier SDKs had.   And, the VidOn XBMC versions prior to Gotham seem to work fine on that version.   (Gotham doesn't seem to show any video.   I don't know if that is a symptom of not having a subscription, or something else.)

Finally, another FWIW, having the latest version of Android on your box really isn't that important unless there is some feature that was added that you need for running a 3rd party app.   XBMC uses native code running on the CPU, so none of the speed ups touted by the Android team apply to XBMC.  (It will only apply to apps that are written in Java and compiled to the Dalvik runtime environment.   And, in my experience, the speed increases weren't that great anyway.)  I understand the desire to be "current" on stuff like this, but in this case, there is little value to being more current.

As I know, now XBMC (Gotham) will be only tested on Vidon Box (Android 4.4). And I checked and seen that libCorePlayer already updated on Vidon Box rom, so with the old rom, when you play the video, it only has sound and black screen (VMC + Vidon XBMC (Gotham) have same issue), it means if Vidon.me doesn't release the new rom which has new libCorePlayer, we cannot play any video on Vidon XBMC

Wolly Xu said that Vidon.me is trying port the new Vidon XBMC for old libCorePlayer, however I think it doesn't have many patch to fix bugs than Vidon XBMC for Vidon Box

#12 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

I feel it's really hard to explain why AV200 doesn't have video but only sound.

We will make it run on AV200 if the feedback of v 0.0.0.4 is good enough, have you updated your VidOn XBMC?

#13 thomash

thomash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationDenmark
  • SDK:v 3.1.3
  • iPhone:6
  • iPad:3

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

A little follow up.

I flashed my AV200 back to the original Vidon firmware. I never got the MELE version to work properly. The audio passthrough didn't work, and XBMC was running bad..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Firmware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users