Photo

Help, I can't find the 'full featured' VMC GUI / When will it return?

VidOn Media Center

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#21 Xbox94

Xbox94

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:48 PM

How do i became a beta tested for this device?

I have a feeling these so call beta tested don't know what they are doing.

#22 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:46 PM

Hmmm... that's not a good way to start a request!!!

If you think you can meet the criteria then please refer to the following, How can I become a firmware beta tester? topic...

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

#23 fba

fba

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • VidOn XBMC:Old Version
  • SDK:v 1.2
  • Android Phone:Nexus 5, others
  • Android Pad:Galaxy Tab II, others

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:48 PM

I think SeeMoreDigital took the high road, so let me take the low road.

When you want to join up with a group, it is best not to make comments about how that group sucks.   It kinda tends to alienate you from the get-go, and probably decreases your chances to get in the group.    At the same time, it is probably good to understand how things work before making comments about how "... these so call[sic] beta tested[sic] don't know what they are doing."   If you were to look at the resumes of the most active of the testers among us, you would find that collectively we all know a *LOT* about various aspects of making a top notch video streaming device.    A better tact would be to be positive in your comments about how you could improve the situation.   So instead of saying that the existing testers don't know what they are doing, perhaps you could say "I think I could bring a lot to the table in terms of testing.   I watch more movies that is humanly possible.   I'm capable of turning in to an electron and following the packets as they travel through the wires between my server and the streaming box, etc."   MUCH more likely to make a good impression and get noticed that way.

But, I also want to address the comment that the current testers "suck".   Unfortunately (for you), you can't see the private message boards on this forum.   Every time a new version is released to us for testing, the most active among us are all over it.   We start testing functionality based on the equipment that we have, which is pretty diverse.   When we find issues, we post them to the private area so that the VidOn.me developers can look in to them.   And the next test release usually fixes some of the problems that we found.   However, you have to keep in mind that VidOn.me has a *REALLY* hard job.   Their ultimate goal is to be able to play back both DVDs and Blu-rays with full menus, and audio with a front-end that is easy to use and highly functional.   But, that goal means that they have to also deal with compatibility issues with every known TV and receiver, every different possible configuration of networking devices (which itself is painful because 'home' grade networking gear generally sucks), and every different type of ripper and file container out there (along with the quirky ripping 'tweaks' that every fool does to their collection because it is 'better').    And, top to it all off, they need to keep a reasonable release schedule to make sure that all of their current customers don't just walk away with the assumption that they have given up on their box.

So, are there some problems with the software that runs on the VidOn box?  Yup.    Does code get released when there are known bugs?  Anyone in development knows this is the case no matter if you are talking about the best funded project down to some guy in his garage.   Are bugs that people complain about on the forum found by the testers?   I have yet to see one show up on here that one of the current testers has not found.    But, VidOn.me releases the code because they are trying to show their customers that they are making progress on some of the issues.   And each release that I have seen addresses some of the issues that people have complained about on this forum.

In general, if you are having problems with a product, you have three choices.  1) You can return it, and try to find something else.   2) You can bitch about the problems and just be annoying.   3) You can jump in with those of us that are trying to make things better, and ask for ways that you can help out.    When you consider the fact that the boxes that used to be at "the top" of the blu-ray ISO playback game can no longer include support for Blu-ray menus without including Cinavia support, and as a result many of those players have dropped out, you will quickly see that your options for really streaming blu-rays in a good way are shrinking.   So option #1 is quickly going away.   Option #2 is both annoying, and unreasonable.   The VidOn box, without the ability to play blu-rays and other formats is a good deal.  I doubt you will find an Android box like this for the price they are asking anywhere else.   VidOn.me decided to go the subscription route as a way to allow its customers to vote with their wallets on how the software development is coming along.   Don't like how it is progressing?  No problem.  That VidOn box will run the freely available version of XBMC or any number of other video players available for Android.   So your investment is still good.  (VidOn.me has not locked the box so it only runs their stuff, which is *REALLY* nice of them!)   Option #3 is really the right way to handle things.   Got a blu-ray that isn't playing?  Post on the bug forum, let us know the details of what is happening, send a log file in to VidOn.me and maybe even go as far as pinging Wolly or Joe to make sure they know your log came in.  (Sorry Wolly and Joe, that may be annoying advice from me.  :tootha:    The more information you can help out with, the easier it is for the developers to chase down the problem and get it fixed.  (Trust me on this one, I am a code monkey for a living.  I know what I am talking about.)

Since there has been a talk on the forums about ties that VidOn.me has with DVDfab (I don't know how true that is, but it fits my narrative, so I am running with it), you should look at the community that exists around DVDfab.   When new movies come out that DVDfab can't rip, the community posts about it on the forums.   Logs are passed around, and the issue is quickly fixed. (I have been through this process in the past with a movie I purchased.)  VidOn.me has a little way to go with their own development before we can really expect to get that kind of turnaround, but from comments that VidOn.me makes on this forum, that seems to be their ultimate goal.   But, it is going to take a little bit of community help to get there.   It is unlikely that VidOn.me has the resources to purchase every possible DVD and blu-ray that has ever been released.   But, between all of us on the forums here, we probably have a good chance of having a significant number of them!

Okay, off my soap box now..    :smile:

• Wolly Xu, Chetwood and Joe like this

- Video system : Sharp 80" 3D TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-70, Definitive Audio Speakers, 40+ TB (hardware RAID 5) Linux server for Blu-ray and DVD ISOs.

- Network : (2x) HP 3400cl switches, HP 1810-24G, Cisco ASA 5520 router/firewall, Aerohive wireless APs

#24 GregiBoy

GregiBoy

The Wizard of Oz

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Devices:RT1186 Linux
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.6
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • SDK:v 1.3
  • Android Phone:Medion AP4
  • Android Pad:Medion Lifetab

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:06 PM

Well said, fba!!!

#25 ourada84

ourada84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:42 AM

hi guys,

So what's with the update to the original VMC apk?

#26 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• VidOn.me Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationBeijing
  • Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.4 Beta
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.6
  • Android Phone:TY K-Touch E88
  • Android Pad:Kindle Fire 1

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:08 AM

hi guys,

So what's with the update to the original VMC apk?

Version 0.0.1.7 should be released next week.

#27 tsamy

tsamy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:53 AM

i'm new buyer of video box, when first time i opened it update it to the latest firmware, when i install the latest VMC , i found 2 icons of xbmc , so how i can find the vmc ?

#28 andreafno

andreafno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationItaly
  • Android Phone:Galaxy SII Plus
  • Android Pad:Galaxy Note 10.1

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:05 PM

Hi,

today I received my vidon box. It automatically updated SDK and VMC to the latest version, but in my VMC "launcher" I can still only see "my apps, files, settings".

How can I activate the home screen with "home, media library, my apps, file management, settings" that I can see in the website?

thanks

Andrea

#29 GregiBoy

GregiBoy

The Wizard of Oz

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Devices:RT1186 Linux
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.6
  • SDK:v 1.3
  • Android Phone:Medion AP4
  • Android Pad:Medion Lifetab

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:00 AM

You can't. Those features were removed because of instability issues.

The current version of VMC is undergoing improvement and testing and will be available when thoroughly tested and the staff at VidOn are working hard on it.

#30 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• VidOn.me Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationBeijing

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:05 AM

Hey andreafno, 

Our testers our working on restoring a more comprehensive, bug free home screen for nicer looking and easier navigation. I miss the old home screen too and I really look forward to its' return.

• willynanita likes this

#31 andreafno

andreafno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationItaly
  • Android Phone:Galaxy SII Plus
  • Android Pad:Galaxy Note 10.1

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:46 PM

Ok I thought I made something wrong in installation.

I hope that your new VMC will have "resume" feature for film and tv series. I'm actually using vidon box with Mediabrowser androd client and it works fine!! When you will release a stable VMC with automatic video categorization I will shut down mediabrowser server on my mac.

Keep up the good work, have a nice day

Andrea

#32 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• VidOn.me Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationBeijing

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:09 AM

Well thank you very much for the support andreafno, and is is great to hear you would use our software over a competitors given the choice!

When any information about a new release is available Wolly or James will make a post here in the forum. 

Thanks again, 

Joe

#33 nut1304

nut1304

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:42 AM

How can I change from original interface to vidon media center interface?

Attached Files

#34 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• VidOn.me Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationBeijing

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:43 AM

The bottom picture is an older version of VidOn Media Center. In more recent updates we have done away with that UI in favor of a more powerful and simple UI.

I miss the old UI as well, and we hope to bring it back soon!

#35 Papirus

Papirus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Egreat M32B NMT
  • VidOn XBMC:v 1.0.0.0
  • iPad:2
  • iOS on iPad:8.3.0
  • Android Phone:LG G2

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:03 AM

Hi,

Since November you are hoping and 4 months has past

There have not been any improvement and in your web site, still your VMC advertisement was shown

This is not a correct behavior, people who bought this product are deceived by this interface.

Give clear date when the VidOn Media Center GUI will be ready to install...

• ourada84 likes this

#36 Vulcan

Vulcan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAddison, Ontario, Canada
  • Devices:VidOn Box, Other
  • Devices:Apple TV2
  • VidOn XBMC:v 1.0.0.0

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:41 PM

SeeMoreDigital, thank you for directing my post to this one. And Joe, thank you for your updates on this post.

I agree, though with the many others, that the old home page was far more attractive and that if that version was so unstable your VMC advertisement needs to reflect the change.

Cheers

#37 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:19 AM

Sorry, Vulcan.

Now we are developing the VidOn Server and VidOn Cloud TV for Android box, and currently they are in the alpha testing. Once the two apps are released, our own media library will come back, you will have a better playback experience.

The released date is expected in April, we will try out best to make the date earlier.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VidOn Media Center

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users