Photo

One Small Step for Android, One Giant Leap for VidOn.

Others

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tar_Elentil

Tar_Elentil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.6
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • SDK:v 1.3
  • Android Phone:Xiaomi Mi4
  • Android Pad:MiPad

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:13 AM

Alright everybody, so I have tested out quite a few apps this weekend and have come to find the VidOn Box quite versatile.

So lets start with the apps that worked:

As for emulators, DraStic, GameBoid, GBCoid, N64oid, SNESoid and NESoid all worked quite perfectly. Even just using a mouse and the stock VidOn remote (I don't have a usb game controller) didn't give me many problems other than the odd button mapping with the remote. Although there are both system and in-game controller mapping options, I think I will just end up buying a usb game controller soon to make life easier. Obviously the GBA, GBC, SNES and NES emulators worked, there was never a doubt, it was the higher performance emulators I was worried about; but all of worries were quickly put to rest after some short game play. DraStic, for NDS, and N64oid, for N64, both worked swimmingly, the graphics were better than could be expected, and it was just plain old fun to be playing Ocarina of Time and Pokemon Black on my big screen!

As for book readers (I know, an odd choice of apps for an Android box), both the Amazon Kindle and Aldiko book readers worked just fine. I did have one problem with Aldiko though, that being I couldn't zoom in on the pages so I couldn't read the text, but right now I am realizing that I didn't try to adjust the text size in app, so I will try that and get back to you guys.

I threw Reddit News, Fast Image Viewer and QQ on my V Box just for fun, and they all worked very well, no problems to report. QQ worked just like it does on my phone, which leads me to believe that What's App and WeChat will work, too. Reddit News is a lot of fun to have on there so I can cruise Reddit easily in the morning before work, and Fast Image Viewer was installed just so I could see if I could view gifs with it, which I can, because VidOn Box itself doesn't have the ability to.

I also put Android Tuner Pro and ES File Explorer on my V Box because I figured, it's an Android box after all, so I may as well have my same utility apps on there as I have on my phone and tablet. Android Tuner Pro is great because it gives me a bit more control over my device, such as the ability to fully monitor app activity (which is great in the light of the small amount of memory on the VidOn Box) and other general system monitoring features. ES File Explorer may actually be my favorite app on my V Box now; with ES I can delete unwanted content off my usb drive, server or hard drive that is plugged into the box itself, and I can transfer files back and forth from my V Box to my usb drive/server/hard drive. I couldn't do this with VidOn's stock file explorer, so I am very happy about these new features.

Finally, I still have not tested any vpn apps as of yet, that will come later. I have however tested Orbot and Orweb. They both worked when I ran them through a router with a dedicated vpn giving me a Hong Kong IP, but they failed to work when I ran them through the good old Chinese internet. So, they work, but only if you're in a country that isn't currently blocking access to Tor bridges.

On to the apps that didn't work:

Google Earth: It would load the app start screen and then crash.

Google Chrome: It would freeze the entire V Box forcing me to restart.

FB Reader: Odd in-document page display made said document unreadable.

Moon Reader: Very buggy and would continually crash.

Office Suite 7: It was barely responsive when it would work, but more often than not just crashed.

Dolphin Browser: It would crash and never open.

Grooveshark: Everything was fine until I wanted to play music, but it would not load the stations. This may be a result of my (Chinese) internet connection.

Tubemate: It would not load. This may be a result of my (Chinese) internet connection.

TED: It would not play the video content in app. This may be a result of my (Chinese) internet connection.

Now, I am a big Android guy. I love my Android, and I love my apps. So being able to utilize these apps was very important to me. I did, however, test several different video file types to check the playback, because over at the Kodi.tv forums some people are having problems with certain file types. I wanted to do my own tests because it seems these people are playing legitimate files of movies they purchased, and then ripped from either DVD's or Blu-ray's. Well, I haven't bought a movie in like 10 years, it's 2014, and I'll be damned if I am going to pay for digital media. So the files I tested were either downloaded from torrent services, downloaded directly from the internet, or given to me by friends; so these files lacked such “fancy” features as menus, for instance. Anyway, here it goes:

HTML5 files played back perfectly, even those with sounds.

avi files played back perfectly, with the exception of one file, but I believe that the fault lies with the (corrupted) file, and not the VidOn Box.

mp4 files were a hit and miss. Some files were perfect, other had problems with the audio synching to the video (though most such problems could be fixed by simply fast forwarding or rewinding).

rmvb files gave me the most trouble. Initially they would play fine, but after using either fast forward or rewind the audio became so out of sync with the video that I couldn't watch them anymore.

So that's it for now. If you take anything from this post let it be that you should install ES File Explorer immediately for ease of access to your device's internal and external memory. And also that you should be playing Zelda and Mario and Pokemon right now on your television.

I am lost in the city, thanks for reading.

• fba and Brucebru like this

#2 fba

fba

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • VidOn XBMC:Old Version
  • SDK:v 1.2
  • Android Phone:Nexus 5, others
  • Android Pad:Galaxy Tab II, others

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for this post!  I was considering building a Raspberry Pi for running emulators, but maybe I'll use my VidOn box instead.   Did you load ROMs over the network?  From the internal flash?  Or from a USB connected drive?

I'm not up to speed on what emulators are available for Android, but are there Dreamcast and Playstation emulators available?  Do those work?

- Video system : Sharp 80" 3D TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-70, Definitive Audio Speakers, 40+ TB (hardware RAID 5) Linux server for Blu-ray and DVD ISOs.

- Network : (2x) HP 3400cl switches, HP 1810-24G, Cisco ASA 5520 router/firewall, Aerohive wireless APs

#3 Tar_Elentil

Tar_Elentil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:08 AM

Hey fba, 

I loaded emulators and roms from a connected usb, then I used ES File Explorer to transfer over the BIOS files to the VidOn Box's internal memory so I won't have to keep that usb drive plugged in every time I want to play a game.

So to bring yourself up to date on what emus are out for Android I would suggest http://coolroms.comhttp://doperoms.comhttp://emuparadise.me or http://emulator-zone.com. Most roms that run in Windows will also actually run on Android NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY ONLINE. The whole "Android Game Emulator" thing is just for the developers to get you to use their specific Android version over the preexisting software, and so they can also hide tracking software on your phone through their emulators. 

I am going to give both Dreamcast, Playstation and PSP emulators a try today on my V Box and I'll let you know by posting the findings here. They should all work, no problem; since the Nintendo DS emulator works I think we should be able to get just about every other available "Android" game emulator to work on the V Box as well. 

#4 Tar_Elentil

Tar_Elentil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:27 AM

Hey fba, 

Sorry to tell you there is no Dreamcast capable emulator for any Android device, well not yet at least. But if you are a true fan of Sega you can emulate Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive/Genesis, Sega CD and Saturn. I didn't have a chance to test today, but I will tomorrow, fo sho. I will also be testing out PSone emulators tomorrow, and maybe ZX Spectrum and WonderSwan if I am feeling crazy. 

#5 Tar_Elentil

Tar_Elentil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:05 AM

The PSone emulator does work on the VidOn Box, yet although the emulator itself works, I have not been able to find any stable iso's of playstation games. All the files that I have downloaded have corrupted and unplayable, unfortunately. If anyone else has tried this, please let me know! I want to know what PSone game play is like through the V Box!

As well, all ancient emulator including MAME, ZX Spectrum and Wonderswan work. That is, everything that is so old it doesn't require a separate BIOS file will run perfectly on the V Box.

In the meantime I will keep trying to find a usable PSone iso to download. Otherwise, let me hear from some more of you about your gaming experience on the VidOn Box.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Others

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users