Photo

New Box Stuck in "Safe mode"

Hardware

Best Answer Wolly Xu , 24 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

You can try to reset the box. Use a slim stick to press the reset button at the back of box, then hold the stick and plugin the power until the screen appears the pictures says being restored to factory settings.

According to our developer, during the process of power on the box, if the menu button is pressed, then the box will go to 'Safe Mode'. 

Hope this can help you.

If the Box still cannot be used after the try, we will replace a new one for you.

Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 Turbotime

Turbotime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Devices:VidOn Box, Other
  • Devices:WD Live Hub
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4
  • Android Phone:Samsung Note 4
  • Android Pad:Samsung Tab 3

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:07 PM

Just got my new Vidonme box yesterday, and it is stuck in safe mode. It won't connect to internet either wired or wirelessly. I can't navigate with the remote I don't know what to do. Yes I've tried 3 sets of batteries and hooked box to 3 different TV's. Its doesn't work. When Trying to reset it with the reset button does nothing. The box is stuck on the Blue splash screen, that says "vidonme player" then goes to a gray screen and says "safe mode" in lower left corner. Any ideas on how to make this work? How do I send it back to fixed or a new one sent or refund. I waited a whole month to get this box and straight out the box its stuck in safe mode and I can't navigate with the remote. Any help would greatly appreciated. i don't want to have to send it back. Thank you, Turbo Dave

#2 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:08 AM   Best Answer

You can try to reset the box. Use a slim stick to press the reset button at the back of box, then hold the stick and plugin the power until the screen appears the pictures says being restored to factory settings.

According to our developer, during the process of power on the box, if the menu button is pressed, then the box will go to 'Safe Mode'. 

Hope this can help you.

If the Box still cannot be used after the try, we will replace a new one for you.

#3 Turbotime

Turbotime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:01 PM

Thank you so much!  That worked and I was able to finish setup. 

Now can you tell how get the box to reconize my LG-NAS box that have all my movies on it?  My old WD Live Hub sees it on my network but the vidonme box doesn't I have DLNA all setup on but no matter what I try it won't find it.  It does see my WD Live Hub and Hard drives attached to it, but not my LG-Network Attached Storage.

I am having alot trouble with that. any help with that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

#4 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:33 AM

Can you add your LG-NAS manually via IP address?

#5 Turbotime

Turbotime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:19 AM

I tried adding the IP address, I tried adding the path to the hard on it. The path to hard drives are: \\Lg-nas\volume1_public and \\Lg-nas\volume2_public those are the 2 names for them on my network and the local IP address for the LG-NAS is 192.168.1.9. What screens should I be adding that info in? Windows SMB? When trying to add info the box cannot be found.

The only thing the vidonme box see's is the service folder on the LG, which has no files. It only contains the service folders the NAS will do like torrent, DLNA, itunes server, and trashbox. Thats the only folder the Vidonme box will see under upnp devices. The vidonme box see's all my hardrives connected to my WD live hub and the one connected to my router under "UPNP" devices but not my LG.

Hope that makes sense. Maybe I'm not info for LG on the right screen?

EDIT: I got my LG-NAS to work! Will there be an update soon to fix the buffering problems? Its won't play a movie smooth like my WD Live HUB.
But it looks and sounds better when it plays.

#6 GregiBoy

GregiBoy

The Wizard of Oz

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • Devices:RT1186 Linux
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.6
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • SDK:v 1.3
  • Android Phone:Medion AP4
  • Android Pad:Medion Lifetab

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:04 AM

I have absolutely no buffering problems at all with my Netgear & Linksys NAS's. All hardwired and connected through the same switch (not router).

How do you have your network set up?

Is there any difference between how you have your WD and Vidon connected?

Are you using wireless on the Vidon Box?

#7 Turbotime

Turbotime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:19 AM

I am not using the wireless, my whole house is hardwired also. Both my WD and Vidon Box are hooked to the same switch that is hooked to the same router.  I have a new Linksys 1900Ac router thats supposed to be one of the latest and greatest thats why it doesn't make sense that I am have am having any buffering issues.

I have a new 5TB seagate drive that is attached directly to the USB 3.0 slot on the back of router and it has buffering issues as well. When I play a movie located on the WD or hard drive attached to WD no issues. It doesn't make any sense. Most of the movies I am playing are uncompressed Blu-Ray movies converted to .Mkv files.

All my ethernet cables are 5e or better. All my switches are Trendnet 10/100/1000.  Maybe its the router? All I know its frustratiing for sure.

So your saying maybe to hook all my stuff to just one switch, the same one the Vidon box is hooked to?

#8 GregiBoy

GregiBoy

The Wizard of Oz

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • Devices:RT1186 Linux
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.6
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • SDK:v 1.3
  • Android Phone:Medion AP4
  • Android Pad:Medion Lifetab

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:00 AM

Yeah, I'd give that a go. NAS's, Media Players, etc all to the same switch, not through router.

I have seen some funny things lately with some client's new routers.

It's not gonna cost anything except a bit of time and please let us know how you get on.

#9 Turbotime

Turbotime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

Its going to take some reworking, I'll let you know if I have some success thanks for your help and input.

It just seems like this box doesn't have enough horse power. Maybe the chips are different in the US boxes.

#10 nexzus

nexzus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:41 PM

How is the router exposing the attached USB drive? SMB? HTTP? UPNP?

I can't speak for the WD live, but on the two XBMC devices I have - a RaspBMC and the Vidon Box - I don't/wouldn't use SMB. As I use 1:1 ISOs, I use NFS, but if you just have the MKVs you should use UPNP ("Media Server" on your router)

#11 Turbotime

Turbotime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:14 AM

I used SMB.  Ill try using NFS to see if that will  help.  Vid box doesn't see my LG-Nas under UPNP. all hadrdrives attached to WD work just fine. The hardrive attached to my router and my LG box are the ones I am having buffering issues with.  When it plays it looks and sounds great, better than my WD.

Ill set the paths to to my LG-Nas under NFS after work today and report back how it goes.  I am going to relocate my new 5TB Seagate drive to a usb hub connected to one of my WD Live Hubs.  I have 2 connected to my network, with hardrives connected to each one and they all play fine when I watch them thru the WD boxes.

Thanks for the input. I really want to make this work!

#12 Turbotime

Turbotime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:22 PM

I never got the nfs paths to work, my LG-NAS box is still connected via smb path, and it stutters and buffers every few mins. That happens when i try to watch a video directly fron XMBC software.

I have had success watching movies thru the file manager app.  I have only watched one movie but there was no stuttering or buffering and the subtitles worked.  I did have to adjust the lip sync but over all was happy.

I rehooked up my 5TB hard drive to my linksys 1900ac usb 3.0 port and let a movie play for a good 1/2 w/o any issues as well.  When using file manger app it still plays thru the XMBC software, so i am not sure why it stutters and buffers trying to play a movie directly thru XMBC vs going thru file app/ network neighborhood finding what I want to watch and playing thru the XMBC software. 

Whatever it seems to work and that makes me happy.

#13 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:22 AM

I never got the nfs paths to work, my LG-NAS box is still connected via smb path, and it stutters and buffers every few mins. That happens when i try to watch a video directly fron XMBC software.

I have had success watching movies thru the file manager app.  I have only watched one movie but there was no stuttering or buffering and the subtitles worked.  I did have to adjust the lip sync but over all was happy.

I rehooked up my 5TB hard drive to my linksys 1900ac usb 3.0 port and let a movie play for a good 1/2 w/o any issues as well.  When using file manger app it still plays thru the XMBC software, so i am not sure why it stutters and buffers trying to play a movie directly thru XMBC vs going thru file app/ network neighborhood finding what I want to watch and playing thru the XMBC software. 

Whatever it seems to work and that makes me happy.

Hi, Turbotime
As you've mentioned the "File Manager" app, so we'd like to know the version of SDK on your Box. Thanks!

#14 Turbotime

Turbotime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

I am using version 1.1.  I checked because I saw in your forum you had new software out.

When i click update it says i have latest version.  i have since watched 3 movies using the File Manager app  to find the video I wanted to watch then choosing XMBC software and it has played just fine and smooth.  I only had one jitter where the movie slowed down a bit but hitting pause and then play cured it and it didn't happen again.

I tried the same 3 movies just opening up the XMBC software by itself, but they all stuttered and buffered.. Be nice just to use the XMBC software directly, it would save whole lot of clicks, but its working for the most part using the File Manager app. Movies definitely look and sound better on the Vidonme box vs my WD Live Hub.  I haven't given up yet.

Hope this helps, anything you think i could try let me know.

#15 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:01 AM

Thanks for your feedback. :smile:

#16 Turbotime

Turbotime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:41 AM

I see you have a new 1.2 SDK, before I update will you tell me which "invalid apps" you are removing with the  update?  Is File manager app one of them? I don't want to lose it because its the only way i watch any movie smoothly.

Thanks

#17 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

I see you have a new 1.2 SDK, before I update will you tell me which "invalid apps" you are removing with the  update?  Is File manager app one of them? I don't want to lose it because its the only way i watch any movie smoothly.

Thanks

We only removed "AllCast".

#18 Turbotime

Turbotime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:05 PM

I updated to 1.2 SDK.  Still no change with the buffering playing videos directly thru the XBMC.

They play smooth and nice using the File manager/ Network Neighborhood/ finding what video I want then choosing XBMC software to play it.

Thanks for not removing the File Manager app.

#19 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:37 PM

I updated to 1.2 SDK.  Still no change with the buffering playing videos directly thru the XBMC.

They play smooth and nice using the File manager/ Network Neighborhood/ finding what

video I want then choosing XBMC software to play it.

Thanks for not removing the File Manager app.

These issues are not related to the new SDK. And not mentioned within the SDK's change-log!

If you require help with 'VidOn XBMC' this is not the place to report 'Software' related bugs... Please use the 'VidOn Software' area of the forum?

Also... Given that recent posts have nothing to do with the original scope of this topic (ie: New box stuck in "Safe Mode"), they are very much off-topic!

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

#20 Turbotime

Turbotime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:21 AM

Oakey dokey, I'ma so sorry.  I will move my software issue to to the software forum

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users