Photo

New Remote for VidOn Box, what's your opinion? And how to get one!

Hardware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#1 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:55 AM

Hi, all

The desgin of the new Remote for VidOn Box is out now, this is the first version, we will continue to optimize some details.
This remote will have a better feel.
Here are some pictures of the new Remote.

Attached File  NewRemote2.jpg   89.25KB   12 downloadsAttached File  NewRemote3.jpg   74.13KB   11 downloadsAttached File  NewRemote4.jpg   45.04KB   11 downloadsAttached File  NewRemote.jpg   20.29KB   8 downloads

#2 DrTrololo

DrTrololo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:19 AM

Looks better. I Hope this new surface doesn't feel like cheap plastic.

Judging from the size of it, button battery instead of AAA+?

#3 GermanGigaDepp

GermanGigaDepp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:22 AM

The amount of buttons is not enough.
I am missing Audio, Subtitels, Mute, Fast Forward, Fast Rewind, Skip back, Forward etc.
  • fountainservice and d0gg like this

#4 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:34 AM

Looks better. I Hope this new surface doesn't feel like cheap plastic.

Judging from the size of it, button battery instead of AAA+?

The front surface feels like the baby skin.

And yes, it needs a button battery.

Attached File  IMG_0734.JPG   85.79KB   5 downloads

#5 DrTrololo

DrTrololo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:48 AM

The amount of buttons is not enough.
I am missing Audio, Subtitels, Mute, Fast Forward, Fast Rewind, Skip back, Forward etc.

The four direction keys works as FF, FR, Skip back and forward on the previous remote, so i guess the new one works the same.

#6 raskus

raskus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

Is it RF or IR, or maybe Bluetooth?

What will the price be?

#7 Skyliner

Skyliner

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

The remote seems not to be a big advantage and reminds me of the one from Minix wich, however, has an accu inside and gyroscope function.

#8 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:34 AM

Is it RF or IR, or maybe Bluetooth?
What will the price be?

IR, and it's free but the shipment fee will be at your cost.

#9 krabat

krabat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

When and where can I order them?

#10 magnetic_storm2025

magnetic_storm2025

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

Wolly Xu

OK here is my Opinion alot of people look at the remote in functionality which equates to a lot of buttons and functions,
maybe even a mini keyboad, At the very least have blu-ray controls like play/pause, stop, rewind/ fast-forward, next Chapter, and Popup Menu.
Being one of VidOn Box Main Features of playing blu-ray ISO's
ok now for the Battery make it Standard like Triple AAA or Double AA Batteries, the button battery are expensive and don't last long

A example is watching a movie with lights out and need to pause very easy if you push pause button.
ps. Here is A pic of a Example remote it has nice buttons and on the back it has a mini keyboard.

Attached Files

• hasse61 and GermanGigaDepp like this

#11 fba

fba

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • VidOn XBMC:Old Version
  • SDK:v 1.2
  • Android Phone:Nexus 5, others
  • Android Pad:Galaxy Tab II, others

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

If you can change the icons on the remote, I might suggest changing the +/- buttons to be page up/page down.   If we are all using HDMI for audio, then there probably isn't a huge need for what appears to be volume controls.

I'm also going to have to agree with people on the button battery.   The nice thing about AA and AAA batteries is they are easy to come by, and you can inexpensively get rechargeable versions.

As far as the remote that magnetic_storm2025 shows, it is neat, but it does seem like a bit of overkill.   Ideally, a media center shouldn't need something as extensive as a keyboard for day-to-day use.   I would think that if you took the new remote, and added a dedicated pause (when you gotta pee, you don't want to mess with finding pause in an on-screen menu), and pop-up menu buttons you would probably have something that covered most of what people would commonly use.    For the times I need a keyboard, I keep a simple USB keyboard laying around that I can quickly hook up and use.  (Along with plenty of extension cables to reach the A/V closet.)

I'm also surprised at how many people are annoyed by the remote.   I have a box in my basement where I throw all of the remotes that come with all of the AV gear I buy.   I keep them around for the once every few years that I need the function of a button on that remote that my universal remote doesn't have.   I actually tend to get really annoyed when companies put proprietary crap (like voice recognition) in their remotes, because it means my universal won't work with it.

Maybe VidOn.me can ship the simple remote with the box, and offer something like magnetic_storm2025's remote as an add-on product for people that need it?

- Video system : Sharp 80" 3D TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-70, Definitive Audio Speakers, 40+ TB (hardware RAID 5) Linux server for Blu-ray and DVD ISOs.

- Network : (2x) HP 3400cl switches, HP 1810-24G, Cisco ASA 5520 router/firewall, Aerohive wireless APs

#12 nghiadhd

nghiadhd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh, Vietnam
  • Devices:AV200
  • VidOn XBMC:v 1.1.0.2
  • iPad:mini 2
  • iOS on iPad:8.1.1
  • Android Phone:LG G2

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:26 AM

IR, and it's free but the shipment fee will be at your cost.

Is it free for AV200 Box? or if it has fee, please provide the price and place to reorder

#13 cBc

cBc

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSoCal, USA

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

I only hope that it works better than the current one does.

• dave4712 likes this

#14 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:29 AM

Is it free for AV200 Box? or if it has fee, please provide the price and place to reorder

This Remote cannot be used on AV200. It's designed for VidOn Box.

#15 cBc

cBc

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSoCal, USA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

Put me down for a vote against that type battery, always harder to find and cost more $$ than regular AAAs. I like that the "Settings" button was moved below the main one, easier to get at when using XBMC.

What about us customers who bought this VidOn Box unit , only to find that the included remote is so very very poor? Don't we deserve to have a properly functioning remote control to be able to use it at all? Why should we have to pay extra $$ for this? I could live with the current remote control - if only it WORKED.
Honestly, unless I stand within 5 feet from the box, the remote will not do anything. Who has a living room that is 5 feet wide?

Us "early adopters" are obviously being used as beta testers, due to the amount of current issues being reported. And I accept that, but we should at least be able to get hardware that works the way it is supposed to, without having to shell out more of our money to replace sub-standard product we have already paid for.

#16 taxigps

taxigps

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationGuangxi, China
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • VidOn XBMC:v 14.2.0
  • Android Phone:Honor 6

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:46 PM

No mouse mode?

#17 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:02 AM

no mouse mode?

No... :sweat: But we have the plan to provide the complex remote which will have a QWERTY keyboard on the back and also a mini trackpad on it. This will be expensive, so maybe we will sell it as an accessory.

• d0gg likes this

#18 Skyliner

Skyliner

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

Take the EW05 air mouse and everythings's fine and you do not have to wait for the things that could be...
  • cBc likes this

#19 raskus

raskus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

Wouldnt it be a great idea to implement support for Sony Blu-ray Remote Control with a generic blutooth adapter?

http://us.playstatio...ontrol-ps3.html

#20 likethatbox

likethatbox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationNiedersachsen, Germany

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

Wouldnt it be a great idea to implement support for Sony Blu-ray Remote Control with a generic blutooth adapter?

http://us.playstatio...ontrol-ps3.html

You have to implement Bluetooth at first.

And then the Nightmare begins, since Bluetooth isnt defined very well (there are different Revisions, incompatibilities, Profiles).

And you have to "Pair" both Devices....oh no!

"Sony Blu-ray Remote Control" is not generic and the necessary profile is PS3 only?

Time to "berzerk" your neighborhood....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users