96 replies to this topic

#21 tarku

tarku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:16 PM

Hi there,

So I set up my Vidon Box last night and did some playing around and testing, I noticed the remote...well the remote isn't designed really well, lets just put it at that.

I was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion on a 3rd party remote that works well with android boxes.

thanks!

#22 cBc

cBc

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSoCal, USA

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:05 PM

For me the remote's controls are pretty adequate, however it's shortfall is the poor range , you have to get right up to it almost for it to work. I've sort of gotten used to the way it works, if if would just work from farther away.

I tried an old Logitech Mini Wireless Keyboard N5901 that sort of works, though some of the keys  (like Escape/Back) don't work

#23 tarku

tarku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:30 PM

For me, the biggest issue with the remote control is the build quality. my battery cover on the remote doesn't sit flush. I will probably end up getting the remake of the remote they offer. 

#24 GregiBoy

GregiBoy

The Wizard of Oz

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • Devices:RT1186 Linux
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.6
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • SDK:v 1.3
  • Android Phone:Medion AP4
  • Android Pad:Medion Lifetab

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:55 PM

I use these on all my players (VidOn & others) and they are brilliant.

http://www.ebay.com....=item4d1f55290f

#25 tarku

tarku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:29 AM

GregiBoy

Perfect! I was looking for something similar to this, I will totally be buying this for mine.

Thank you!

#26 cBc

cBc

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSoCal, USA

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:04 AM

Seems to have lots of buttons, maybe a bit much for me. But to use this VidOn box well it really requires some sort of keyboard remote, as you have to enter a lot of characters for searches & stuff. For just XBMC, the remote actually works fairly well, except for the extremely short range of control it has, making you having to extend your arm out as far as you can to get it to register a button press, or stand up in front of your TV constantly.

#27 willynanita

willynanita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4
  • iPhone:6
  • iOS on iPhone:9.3.2
  • iPad:3
  • iOS on iPad:9.3.2

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:47 AM

Is this possible? I have a Minix Neo A2 remote and it works with the Vidon Box, sometimes, but not all buttons are mapped. Please...

#28 willynanita

willynanita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • iOS on iPhone:9.3.2
  • iPad:3
  • iOS on iPad:9.3.2

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:35 AM

Got one.....works like a charm on my AV100. Since it Acts as a genuine Keyboard and Mouse in HID Mode, it should work on every Device that supports USB Mouse and Keyboard. You have to remap a few buttons though....esc and a few function Keys do not work not as intended right out of the Box

How do I remap the missing buttons?

#29 cyclic

cyclic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:18 AM

Only one real problem for me ,the remote which has already been mentioned in other posts .Don't object to the size or shape ,the quality is not good .My custom key button does n't work and several of the others are sticky and the range is shocking  .Remotes are strange beasts we all expect so much from them ,I think the new design looks good and I think they should be kept as simple as possible ,too many buttons are bad news .Fine if you are the only user but hard work for anyone else who simply wants to sit down and watch what they want. Agree with the comments about Bluetooth ,any form of search or text input is hard work with a remote .Phone apps are fine but more of a novelty to me .

Out of the box the unit (which is really well made, solid  and stylish ) booted straight up ,updated itself , allowed me to login and bind .Connected to Qnap server and other shared  devices. Usb and card slot work fine .Seems to play everything I have thrown at it So no complaints .XBMC works ,few niggles but it's up and running .

1st Android box for me so I find it interesting ,I have owned several different boxes HDX ,Playon ,etc , all on dedicated sdk's .

At the end of the day for me it all boils down to nice a interface ,easy navigation and sensible input method, boxes have to be user-friendly so everyone in the house can use them.

For what it cost us this little box is excellent value ,although I'm not sure where the subscription is leading to and whether it be of any direct benefit to us ..

• cBc likes this

#30 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

Glad to hear that you received you box, enjoy your movie time! :smile: 

#31 likethatbox

likethatbox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationNiedersachsen, Germany

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:00 PM

How do I remap the missing buttons?

Well, you have to  edit the keymap xml.

Or use keymap  editor under XBMC.

#32 gomno

gomno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA
  • VidOn XBMC:v 1.0.0.0
  • SDK:v 1.2

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

I have the keyboard set to English (US).  When I try to enter any letter from the top row of keys I get the number, not the letter.

For example if I type the letter "i" I get the number 8.

Can't find any setting to change this.

#33 hdmkv

hdmkv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

My Logitech K400 isn't recognized at all, but my Hausbell H7 is. However, some keys like you noted don't work. For me, backspace, delete, shift and a few others. May try other keyboard/mouse combos.

#34 cBc

cBc

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSoCal, USA

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:28 AM

Getting a better working remote will be a major improvement, since that is this unit's biggest flaw by far.

#35 Tar_Elentil

Tar_Elentil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Android Phone:Xiaomi Mi4
  • Android Pad:MiPad

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:01 AM

I had that same problem too gomno, and I found that I was, and I know this sounds crazy, pressing the button too hard.

What happens is that keyboard is made to be used with touchscreen phones, and when you double click the top row you get a number instead of a letter; so on the V Box, if you press the select button too hard or too long it is being registered as a double click with the keyboard, hence the number being selected instead of the letter. Try lightly pressing the select button, or forgo the stock keyboard all together and downloading a keyboard app, check out this article to see what is right for you : http://www.androidau...id-apps-198452/.

I bought a game controller this past weekend and have successfully used it to play the NES, SNES and NDS emulators on my VidOn Box. It is a BTP-2126E BETOP VIBRATION GAMEPAD from BETOP. After an initial set up, which comprised holding down the start and select buttons, my V Box recognized it and I was able to use it in place of a remote, as well. I did have to set the button maps in each emulator individually, but it took like 5 seconds and was very simple. Since I am able to use a totally random Chinese controller, I would imagine any other random third party controller would perform just as well. Also, I could swear I read somewhere else on line about people having tested X Box and PS controllers on the V Box but I don't remember where or what the outcome was. So, is anyone else using a third party game controller? What device was it? What was it like? How was gameplay?

#36 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

I cant even get my Logitech K400 to work....plugged in the drive into the USB port & still didnt work.....seriously...how did u get it up n working?..

Hey, guys

The problem of that Logitech k400r wireless touch keyboard & logitech mini controller can not be used with VidOn Box has been solved, we will push the update (SDK 1.2) asap.

• cBc likes this

#37 hdmkv

hdmkv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:55 PM

Hey, guys

The problem of that Logitech k400r wireless touch keyboard & logitech mini controller can not be used with VidOn Box has been solved, we will push the update (SDK 1.2) asap.

Excellent, thanks.

• Guane likes this

#38 GregiBoy

GregiBoy

The Wizard of Oz

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:00 AM

I have been testing my new box with my collection of remotes & Keyboard/Mouse.

Firstly. let me say I find most of the negative comments on the supplied remote unfounded. I found that it works well to about 5 metres with one proviso; It must be pointed directly at the box which is not hard once you get used to it. As XBMC is designed for a 3 metre (10 foot) interface, it certainly falls within that parameter. I also like the simplicity of the very few buttons which is great for normal users. For advanced users, there are many other options and honestly, what do you expect with a box that sells for around $50? A gold plated remote?

I moved on to testing a cheap PC Remote and Wireless Keyboard/Mouse that I had purchased from eBay, both costing less than $10. They also worked perfectly and I also copied the key codes across to my Harmony 200 and Harmony 1000 and again they worked perfectly. I have attached pictures of the two eBay remotes to this post for your information.

Note I say they worked perfectly because I modify the keyboard mapping to suit my needs and I have included a example of keyboard mapping which you can do simply by installing the official XBMC add-on "Keymap Editor".

Here is the short example:-

<!-- Developed by Gregiboy   -->
<!-- For the VidOn Remote    -->
<!-- And PC Remote 5/11/2014 -->

<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<!-- VidOn Remote Keys -->
<key id="61448">back</key>
<key id="61453">select</key>
<key id="61656">contextmenu</key>
<key id="61568">up</key>
<key id="61569">down</key>
<key id="61570">left</key>
<key id="61571">right</key>
<key id="61483">volumeup</key>
<key id="61485">volumedown</key>

<!-- Common Keys -->
<key id="61952">mute</key>

<!-- PC Remote Keys -->
<key id="61626">skipnext</key>
<key id="61627">skipprevious</key>
<key id="61628">stop</key>
<key id="61629">playpause</key>
<key id="61572">pageup</key>
<key id="61573">pagedown</key>
</keyboard>
</global>
</keymap>

Attached File  Mini Keyboard.jpg   31.22KB   0 downloads
Attached File  PC Remote.jpg   41.22KB   0 downloads

• Wolly Xu likes this

#39 nghiadhd

nghiadhd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh, Vietnam
  • Devices:AV200
  • VidOn XBMC:v 1.1.0.2
  • iPad:mini 2
  • iOS on iPad:8.1.1
  • Android Phone:LG G2

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:44 AM

Hi GregiBoy

Can mouse mode of PCRemote works on Vidonme launcher as well as Android Applications?

it's very cheap but I need a confirmation. I hate the mouse mode on Vidon.me Remote, it takes me 1-2 minutes to click one link on web browser

#40 GregiBoy

GregiBoy

The Wizard of Oz

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:56 AM

Hi nghiadhd.

The mouse mode on the PC Remote works on VidOn XBMC and the start-up screen fine.

I can't vouch for Android Apps as I don't use them.

I do prefer the mouse movement of the RII Keyboard/Mouse (the black one) though as it is better controlled. Actually, I prefer it overall.

Hope this helps.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Network Set-up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users