Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

- Only the first time you power on the box, you need to login. Unless you click logout.

- About auto framerate detection and switching, I need to ask developers.

- Media Center can do all the things that XBMC can do except addons (maybe will be supported later), and Media Center can do more than XBMC.

#102 Skyliner

Skyliner

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

So when the Login was made you need permanent Internet Connection to check with every startup if the Membership is valid?

Would you please be more specific about the Media Center advantages? Thx

#103 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

If you don't connect the box to Internet, then we don't check your account.

VidOn Media Center is made up of Android Launcher, a powerful Player and server. 

It can manage all your multimedia, play nearly all kinds of format of video, view your photo (in slideshow), manage your music.

Here is a page to introduce VidOn Media Center, hope it will help you to understand what is VidOn Media Center.

http://vidon.me/vidon_box_vmc.htm

Except these features mentioned in the page, we will add more features to VidOn Media Center, you can learn more from this page (http://vidon.me/vidon_membership.htm), for example, Mobile Transfer, Camera Backup and Access Library from your smartphone.

#104 Skyliner

Skyliner

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:08 PM

So, where do you implement the counter for membership time? I think many People a curious about this (also because of data protection) and you should profit from working on the special features as well.

Besides the autoframerate issue = adaptive playback of video sources with different fps please ask your developpers if the box can function as a Digital Media Renderer (DMR) as well as a Digital Media Server (DMS). According to your presentation it should be the case.

Thanks a lot for your presence and quick feedback here.

#105 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

We will have a countdown timer on our server, When you first time login, the timer will start. I guess this is the way of how to timing.

#106 magnetic_storm2025

magnetic_storm2025

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

Wolly Xu

just so we're clear you said

1. The price may raise to $3.99 at any time if more advanced features are ready, but now it is $1.99/mo, and we will provide a lifetime option after a year.

http://forum.vidon.m...age-2#entry6078

2. You do not need to pay $300 or $500, the total price now is $72.88, after a year, we will roll out a Lifetime option. If you buy the lifetime, the total price will not more than $200, BUT you can enjoy all of the advanced features which is other android box can not provide.

http://forum.vidon.m...age-2#entry6085

3. Lifetime will be provided after one year.

http://forum.vidon.m...age-3#entry6100

But here http://vidon.me/vidon_membership.htm ,  at the bottom says

Why there is no lifetime option on VidOn Membership?

This depends on how you understand it. Our current membership only requires $1.99 per month, which is the special discount we offer to the early birds (the first subscribers). When more and more features and functionalities are ready, the monthly subscription fee will be $3.99. We promise that within the validity of your Membership, all the new features and services are free to you.

Is that just for now or are you not going to offer lifetime Membership after one year?

#107 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:02 AM

Just for now

#108 kennia

kennia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

I personally feel the price (hardware+software) is acceptable. I have used their software like vidon server and vidon player, which are efficient and keep always updated. So I think their software service can be trusted. But I will wait for reviews for sure, whether the hardware quality good or not.

I feel that $73 is very cheap price and I will reserve for it.

#109 Skyliner

Skyliner

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

Ok - the conclusion is for now:

1) Many competitive features will be now available even without membership fee for a hardware price of 49 USD + a certain (??) Markup.

2.) The Membership fee will be initially 1.99 USD/month and maybe within the first year lifted to 3.99 USD/month.

3.) After that a lifetime license could be available for how much?

4.) Login only after first startup so you run the risk that the customers do not connect again or logout and safe the fees??

It's indeed a very nice offer under the following circumstances:

- the new box is coming without blackouts like many had with the AV200 & is quiet bugfree

- the customer can rely on competent, constant and quick Support + product development (new Features + XBMC Version Upgrades)

- some relevant media Player functions like for me the autoframerate adaptation incl. full 24p/23,976 fps support will be implemented in near future SDKs via APIs (possible on a Android 4.4 Backbone)

Then I think many people would be willing to pay for a product bundle because solid customer support creates costs that have to be covered.

Make the best out of it Vidon.me Team -  we are counting on you!

#110 Skyliner

Skyliner

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

@Wolly now without a hat:

Another small but relevant hint:

Exclude the Bluray - Menu Navigation from the listed "normal" features since this might be misleading and state clear that the following functions are availbale even without membership:

- Media Center Management

- Playback basically everything

- Access Home Sharing Server

- 3D Bluray Playback (also Full 3D in sequential shutter method or only SBS/TAB?)

- AC3/DTS 5.1 & DTS-HD/TrueHD HDMI Passthrough (very important with regard to competitors!)

This is only a proposal but could make your life easier :)

#111 Aliviado

Aliviado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:13 AM

I think the Software page is a brief introduction of what is VidOn Media Center, and in the Membership page, it means all features in this page can be used after you join the membership. Am I right?

#112 James

James

Advanced Member

• VidOn.me Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • SDK:v 1.2
  • iPhone:6 Plus
  • iOS on iPhone:8.1.1
  • iPad:mini 2
  • iOS on iPad:8.1.1

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

@Wolly now without a hat:

Another small but relevant hint:

Exclude the Bluray - Menu Navigation from the listed "normal" features since this might be misleading and state clear that the following functions are availbale even without membership:

- Media Center Management

- Playback basically everything

- Access Home Sharing Server

- 3D Bluray Playback (also Full 3D in sequential shutter method or only SBS/TAB?)

- AC3/DTS 5.1 & DTS-HD/TrueHD HDMI Passthrough (very important with regard to competitors!)

This is only a proposal but could make your life easier :)

Thanks for this proposal.

We will improve our product and membership page to make things more clear.

#113 KKnded

KKnded

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

Ok - the conclusion is for now:

1) Many competitive features will be now available even without membership fee for a hardware price of 49 USD + a certain (??) Markup.

2.) The Membership fee will be initially 1.99 USD/month and maybe within the first year lifted to 3.99 USD/month.

3.) After that a lifetime license could be available for how much?

4.) Login only after first startup so you run the risk that the customers do not connect again or logout and safe the fees??

It's indeed a very nice offer under the following circumstances:

- the new box is coming without blackouts like many had with the AV200 & is quiet bugfree

- the customer can rely on competent, constant and quick Support + product development (new Features + XBMC Version Upgrades)

- some relevant media Player functions like for me the autoframerate adaptation incl. full 24p/23,976 fps support will be implemented in near future SDKs via APIs (possible on a Android 4.4 Backbone)

Then I think many people would be willing to pay for a product bundle because solid customer support creates costs that have to be covered.

Make the best out of it Vidon.me Team -  we are counting on you!

From their new membership page, It lists two available advanced features: blu-ray navigation and early access new version XBMC

It seems these are the shared feature you'll have even without membership:Hardware decoding , 3D movie support, SPDIF/HDMI pass-through and Frequently update.

If this makes you feel better, the 12 month membership is the makeup.:)

I think whats really great about  android box is the flexibility of XBMC addons and free android apps, which helps you cut your cable fee and enjoy lots of things for free. Without internet, it means nothing, so maybe that's the reason why membership do not force you to get online all the time.

I heard they have changed the manufacture, and maybe this can solve the blackout problem. 

Their old box seems to update very  frequently, and I  use their mobile app and server daily, so I wouldn't worry about their software support. 

Not sure about the Auto-frame though, are there any other android box can do this now?

#114 Skyliner

Skyliner

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

Hi Member,

many points in your comments are clear now, others not.

One issue - are the additional features compatible to the open source XBMC agreement?

And what can be really expected in the future? Holding back new XBMC versions from no members could be a contempt against XBMCs idea.

The recent AMLogic802 is strong supported via XBMC and Minix for example is working on the autoframe adaptation.

Vidon.on would be well advised to do the same.

#115 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

We developed VidOn Media Center by ourselves, the new UI, new scraper, but we will make it Open Source, VidOn Media Center is not XBMC, so it doesn't need to follow XBMC's agreement.

And most of the advanced features are(will be) developed based on VidOn Media Center not (VidOn)XBMC.

All users will get the updates, but membership users will use the new version in advance.

Our VidOn Box supports 24Hz/60Hz autoframe adaptation now.

• Skyliner likes this

#116 Skyliner

Skyliner

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Nice to read that :) Is 23,976 fps also supported?

So you will offer the box at the beginning only with membership? How do you ensure that people extend the membership after one year when internet connection/Login is mandatory only once?

What is your schedule of dispatch? All the best with that nice looking box!

#117 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

The $49 is the cost price, so the first 1 year membership is the must have. You have one year time to decide if you will continue to subscribe our service.

If your box doesn't access to the Internet, your box will not receive the update, you can not use any Internet based apps/services/XBMC plugins.

No updates, then no new features, so make your choice. :tootha:

#118 Skyliner

Skyliner

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

So you say that every internet interaction on this box ist linked with the User-Account login?

#119 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

If you want to enjoy the advanced services, you need to subscribe VidOn Membership and login.(Every one has 1 year Membership)

If you want to update the software/firmware, you need to connect the box to Internet.

if you don't login and don't connect it to Internet, then the box can still run the free features, but no updates, no new (free) features, lots of Internet based apps/plugins/services also can not be used.

I think I have already explained very clearly.  :smile:

#120 Skyliner

Skyliner

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

To say frankly - every user of the box has to login before using Media Center for online content? The same whe making use of updates that can only be installed OTA? Thx for clarification.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users