• This topic is locked This topic is locked
172 replies to this topic

#1 TMx

TMx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

Could you please Tell us Clearly How much is Vidon Box? $49 or $74??? I dont need any membership is that an optional extra or should I Pay for it no matter I need it or not??? Thanks

#2 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

$49 is the hardware price, it's really so cheap for a quad-core android box, we don't earn any money on the hardware, so we wish users could use our advanced features. 

So join VidOn Membership you could experience more features with only $1.99/mo(will raise to $3.99/mo when more features are ready).

And after 1 year, if you don't plan to renew the membership, your box will run the basic features which will not affect you watching movie, you can still use "3D Blu-ray Playback(in main title mode)" and "Audio Passthrough". You can still update the firmware and software to the latest version, and of course we will still resolve the reported bugs.

We will develop more advanced features (as you can see in this page, those are only part of the advanced features) in the future.

#3 Skyliner

Skyliner

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

But 3D and HD-Audiopassthrough is a Membership Feature, isn't it?

#4 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

But 3D and HD-Audiopassthrough is a Membership Feature, isn't it?

Mistake, will remove from the Membership.

#5 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

I already ask questions concerning membership but the thread was blocked or removed. Does Bluray menu navigation still work after 1st year without renewal of membership?

No, will not work if no renewal.

#6 TMx

TMx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the Heads up

Vidon Box is $74 Not $49  :smile:

#7 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the Heads up

Vidon Box is $74 Not $49  :smile:

Given that VidOn Box has one year Membership, we will add more features and you don't need to pay extra money during this one year, compare to other Android Box, it's still very cheap. :smile:

And if you don't want the advanced features after a year, your box still can work normally like other Android Box.

Plex only has 6 features, they charge $3.99/mo. We will have more features, because we have VidOn Server in VidOn Media Center, we can do more.

#8 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Is Vidon.Box incl. 1 year membership for 74$ including int. shipment? Is vidon box without 1 year membership availabe für 49$ including int. shipment?
Is there a certain test period for membership if vidon box is ordered without membership to decide whether to order membership later on? Will membership be transfered to another box if bought within 1 year period?

Can you please confirm that that the following framerates will be supported natively with autoswitching to the right output frequencies even without membership as basic feature?

23.976Hz => 23.976Hz
24.000Hz => 24.000Hz
25.000Hz => 50.000Hz
29,970Hz => 59.940Hz
30.000Hz => 60.000Hz

Will this autoswitching also be done within the FullBD playback incl. menu if different tracks with different framerates are played in a seqence (e.g. Trailers, Bonus Features, ...)? This means auto framerate switching for each individual track/playlist of the FullBD? Of course this must be supported with a payed anual membership!

The price doesn't include shipment fee. Without Membership, the retail selling price of VidOn Box is not $49, because we indeed don't earn any money on hardware(VidOn Box), so the price maybe a little expensive than $49, but cheaper than $72.88.

I will confirm the feature you've mentioned above.

#9 Skyliner

Skyliner

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

Mistake, will remove from the Membership.

No, it's still part of the membership. 3D is possible for free on several other Android boxes.

#10 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

No, it's still part of the membership. 3D is possible for free on several other Android boxes.

We will edit the page tomorrow.

3D Blu-ray playback in main title mode is free, but I think currently no Android box can play 3D Blu-ray in BD-J Menu mode.

We will.

#11 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

Am I rigth that you confirm to support full autoframerate support for each individual title/track of FullBD playback with all neccessary frequencies?

Will you support playback from attached optical drives as well including original protected BD disks?

I will ask our developers and make clear if the features you mentioned are supported or will be supported.

We don't decrypt any Disc, as it is illegal in some countries.

#12 hasse61

hasse61

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

Hi

Glad reservation day is more than a week away,it will take quite some time to clear Things up about this membership?.

As i understand it right now Vidon box can only be bought with a 1 year membership included?.

Just saw you changed the info on vidon.me page.

I am still very interested in this box even with the membership (software development also costs Money,i am just used to pay higher Price for hardware which then includes the software Development).

I am used to see perfectly good hardware being let Down by software and then no more updates.

I am really hoping you will be different,and this membership could maybe be a way to secure updating and bugfixing,hope so.?

Regards Hasse

#13 magnetic_storm2025

magnetic_storm2025

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

$49 is the hardware price, it's really so cheap for a quad-core android box, we don't earn any money on the hardware, so we wish users could use our advanced features. 

So join VidOn Membership you could experience more features with only $1.99/mo(will raise to $3.99/mo when more features are ready).

And after 1 year, if you don't plan to renew the membership, your box will run the basic features which will not affect you watching movie, you can still use "3D Blu-ray Playback(in main title mode)" and "Audio Passthrough". You can still update the firmware and software to the latest version, and of course we will still resolve the reported bugs.

We will develop more advanced features (as you can see in this page, those are only part of the advanced features) in the future.

Wolly Xu 

Will you be offering Lifetime Membership maybe like a one time price of 250, 275, or 300

that way we have a guaranteed worry free that the vidon box will work without the hassle Membership cutoff or

for us that worry what would happen if god forbid five or ten years from now your out of business will unit still work with advanced features.

At " will raise to $3.99/mo "   = about $50 a year is not a good sales pitch

I think potential customers would rather pay for vidon box unit price of 299. or 350 than pay a yearly Membership fee forever just to use

the box they just bought and paid for.

#14 likethatbox

likethatbox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationNiedersachsen, Germany

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:42 AM

I am quite sure that this Business Plan will violate the GPL.

This weird concept fools customers....and it stinks.

• magnetic_storm2025 likes this

#15 magnetic_storm2025

magnetic_storm2025

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:54 AM

I am quite sure that this Business Plan will violate the GPL.

This weird concept fools customers....and it stinks.

I total agree,  Plus who would pay to use a unit just to play blu-rays when you sent 70 on a blu-ray player and watch it the old way or

watch it on a pc connected to a tv for free.   The company had a good thing going to make thing easier for users to watch movies

But to pay for the use is not smart.   me I rather put a disc in a player then pay yearly fees forever

They should scrap this Membership idea and go back to real main unit price for the new Vidon box.

#16 thw_100

thw_100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:18 AM

i agree as well.

having a box calling "home" every month verify if the membership is valid or not is something that i wouldn't like to see in my enviroment.

Especially if some other data might be transmitted as well.

Lifetime membership might be an option and even the total price of 300 - 500 USD is ok, but no permanent chattering.

Best Regards

• magnetic_storm2025 likes this

#17 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:50 AM

Membership doesn't only include Blu-ray menu Navigation or 3D Blu-ray Playback, we will have more other features based on VidOn Media Center.

For example, we have Mobile Transfer, you can download the movie from your box to your mobile phone at a very fast speed, during this process, the box will transcode the movie to another format which is supported by your phone.

We will have a feature (maybe) called Camera upload, when you go home and your phone connected to the WIFI, the photo you took will be automatically uploaded to the specified location in the NAS or hard drive.

And we also will have a feature like personal private cloud, you can view the content stored in the NAS from anywhere via 3G, 4G or WiFi on your smartphone. You can stream video, music or view photos.

We will have more features.

If you joined VidOn Membership, you can enjoy all these features with only $1.99/mo.

Selling open source software doesn't violate the GPL, because we opened the source and we indeed did lots of work on it.

#18 magnetic_storm2025

magnetic_storm2025

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:02 AM

Nobody in the right mind is going share to a cloud blu-ray.iso's many reasons including laws

plus many program to free convert files on the net. the point is we do not like the idea of Membership fees for

just watch videos will be happy to paid for the unit in full price but many do not like the idea of fees and it sad

because The company does good work. i think you should reconsider Membership idea scrap it

total price of 300 - 500 USD is ok

#19 Skyliner

Skyliner

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

To be honest the box iteself without this extra features is not worth more than 100 USD because some specs were cut in contrast to the AV200 and no new future-proof specs are added (HDMI 2.0, HVEC=H.265...). So this seems to be a compromise which will affront many potential customers - maybe the same who still suffer under the AV100/200 misery. I understand that good, reliable and long-lasting support has to be paid but please do your homework first to regain trust and then we can talk about additional features with costs. Thanks.

#20 joelbaker

joelbaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

I personally feel the price (hardware+software) is acceptable. I have used their software like vidon server and vidon player, which are efficient and keep always updated. So I think their software service can be trusted. But I will wait for reviews for sure, whether the hardware quality good or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users