• 12 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA
  • Devices:AV200
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • SDK:v 3.1.5
  • iPhone:6
  • iPad:mini 3

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

I bought DVD Fab Gold, a life time subscription at the time, some years ago.  I wanted to be able to save my DVD collection to a format that would not become obsolete as had happened with my VCR collection.  I connected a desktop computer to my television and could watch my movies on the big screen.  Not very elegant, somewhat awkward, but it was a solution.

With one of the many DVD Fab versions was a offer for a Vidon-me set top box.  It seemed to be the perfect answer to what I was looking for.  I went on the Vidon-me forum and read all the comments.  The product seemed to plagued with problems.  The AV200 came out and the comments were still not positive.

I researched a number of products.  Basically they were all the same. They would let me access the web and stream content.  My Blu-ray DVD player lets me do that.  I wanted to play the content off my own hard drive with simple, easy to use controls.  The Vidon-me box appeared to do just that.  So I ignored all the bad press and bought myself a AV200 for Christmas.

I received the  box early in January.  While waiting, I purchased a 3 TB drive and copied all my movies to it.  I started hooking it up only to discover the instruction were minimal, written by engineers for people who understand computers. After a lot of trial and error and some help from Ashley at product support I finally got everything working.  It was perfect,  did just what I had hoped it would.  There were a few glitches in the software, some features didn't work exactly as they should but overall, great.  Then came a software update, the world came crashing down on me.  Features that had worked before didn't, closed captioning which I have to have, I'm almost deaf, no longer worked and I discovered the dreaded "dead brick".

Ashley and I e-mailed almost daily for about a month until, at my own expense, I shipped the box back to China.  Ashley offered to refund my money and I said no.  I wanted a replacement.  She promptly sent me one, a couple weeks later I received a second one.  I'm a nice guy, but I wasn't going to pay the freight to ship it back so now I have two.  Each successive update has solved some problems and created others.  Each overall better than the last.  At this point I don't think anything was wrong with the first box, it was software issues.

The bottom line is the company is great, they have a great product in development.  Ask a question and you get a prompt reply.  Have a problem and they attempt to solve it.  Are there problems with the product?  Yes.  Are they trying to solve them?  Yes.  Is there anything on the market that is better?  I haven't found it.  Personally I say Kudo's to the kids at Vidon-me.  They are really trying.  Just think of all the hours of entertainment I have had trying to make this work.  That alone is worth the price, watching my movies on my HDTV is a bonus.

• Hermanio likes this

#2 Aliviado

Aliviado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

A true story, they have a very good customer service.

• Hermanio likes this

#3 oelisea

oelisea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:59 PM

Agree Ashley is very helpfull and seems to have strong knowledge on solving issues.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users