#1 djfirestorm

djfirestorm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
  • VMC:Not Specified

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:27 AM

This is my first review, and I will try to keep it honest.

Overall the AV200 is shaping up to be a nice device. I have had all of the others, too many to list, and one thing I can honestly say is VidOn is unlike other companies...they keep working on their devices! Evidence of this is show with the VidOn Media Center beta apk's. The new interface is more responsive than the stock interface. It makes more sense, and while with some faults (hey its beta), I prefer to use it as my main startup. Now I have not had much experience with the device, since my main purpose is 3D Blu-Ray ISO, but is suffering from some HDMI handshake issues that is currently being worked on (thanks VidOn for acknowledging the issue and specifically looking into it, but that is for a different thread). For those wondering, 3D does work, just not with my Onkyo Receiver, however direct to my BenQ w1070 it works fine...just no DTS-MA audio with optical. Audio is really good with DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD btw!

Right now I mainly use it as a web browser on my projector (until the 3D ISO/HDMI handshake gets worked out with the Android 4.4 update), and it works quite nice with my wireless Microsoft $19 mouse and keyboard combo. I have tried other various mice and keyboards and they all seem to work. Once in a while the mouse click will not work on the Media Center Beta and I have to hit Enter on the keyboard, but that is to be expected. Anything Android can do, this can do it with good speed compared to other Android based media boxes.

Next I have run Plex Media App on it as well, as my main media setup is with Plex.tv, and it runs good. I like the Android version of the app so it is nice to get that experience. Similar experience with Netfix, but everything runs Netflix apps now, so not really anything special, but being able to do it all on 1 device instead of 3..that is! I will admit, I wish VidOn would work with Plex for their media center and get 3D BluRay ISO with that rather than XBMC...its clunky and reminds me of keyboard tabbing windows explorer without the windows aspect. To me XBMC is a stepping stone to the future, and not the future itself. I will not discredit the team that made it, but its borderline being dubbed an old-school media player as far as the layout and drive navigation is concerned.

Also, this device bailed me out when my tablet cratered (something about loading the wrong kernel then wiping it to no kernel :S apparently only some devices you can do that with but not my TF300T, oops, my bad but back to the point). I needed to run a few tabs for the band I am in with Guitar Tab Pro (on the Android market)...and to my surprise the AV200 ran it quite nice, whereas on my ASUS TF300T it was choppy, but this thing was smooth like butter ...impressive performance!

Well those are my experiences with the AV200...and now I am going to see if I can play N.O.V.A. 3 on my projector with the AV200. I will have to set up a game pad and app I guess, will see how this works out since it is kinda odd on Android in general, but what the heck, its not the end of the journey, its how you get there. Now this I am excited to do as it is my all time favorite Android game...that means I am going to cut this short and load this game...will also need to put a SD card into it as it is a large game lol.

P.S. My ASUS TF300T is perma bricked, then I decided to see how durable Gorilla Glass is...now I have to go explain to my wife why I have to buy another tablet (because I just cant leave devices alone and have to root and customize everything because I can haha). I will probably not survive, but wish me luck guys!

• Wolly Xu likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users