• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

Why you like to use XBMC?

Which feature of XBMC is your most favorite?

If there is a software with better separate scraper and better user experience, would you still use XBMC?

#2 treble

treble

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia, Australia

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

Streaming. Xunity, Mashup, Icefilms, 1Chan etc...

Amazing GUI! So pretty, all the backgrounds, artwork.

All the different remote control apps. Official control on iPad is fantastic. 

Yatse on android.

I'm sure there are heaps more reasons but those are just a few.

#3 GregiBoy

GregiBoy

The Wizard of Oz

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • Devices:RT1186 Linux
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.6
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • SDK:v 1.3
  • Android Phone:Medion AP4
  • Android Pad:Medion Lifetab

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:58 PM

Multi-Platform

Centralised database

Customisation

Numerous Add-Ons

Synchronisation with Trakt.tv, Next Episode

Not unless the above were implemented.

#4 Skyliner

Skyliner

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

I appreciate - the well designed different themes/styles with the same easy to handle GUI - free of ads TV media centers - Live TV backend implementation - hardware decoding depending on the Player Hardware - vast amount of add-ons - customisation missing - Full 3D Support - better solution for favorites - not always accurate with scraping results For me too, it stays the best free media center with constant development under one roof!

#5 likethatbox

likethatbox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationNiedersachsen, Germany

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

"User Experience"......well undefined Definition. No other Software comes even close in Variety and Customization.

#6 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:47 AM

the video add ons, user interface, built in scraper, skins

#7 cBc

cBc

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSoCal, USA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:03 PM

Pretty much everything above. I see other comments against XMBC in other threads here & am a bit suprised, as compared to virtually ALL other frontends/GUI experiences I  has seen on media boxes, XBMC completely cleans their clocks, head and shoulder better than them. Without this unit using XBMC for media control, I wouldn't even be here.

#8 fba

fba

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • VidOn XBMC:Old Version
  • SDK:v 1.2
  • Android Phone:Nexus 5, others
  • Android Pad:Galaxy Tab II, others

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:07 PM

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but I figured I'd chip in my experience.

My first "media box" was a MythTV system all running on a single box with a tuner card.   Along the way, I decided that for the cost of satellite TV, with all the movie channels, it would be cheaper for me to just buy the movies I liked.   So I started to add DVD ISOs to the MythTV system.   Eventually I expanded the Myth system to have 2 different front-ends, and a separate back-end.   This is when I started to build up my server with significant amounts of disk space.  (I'm running around 42 TB in a RAID 5 configuration with an LSI RAID controller and a SAS expander.)    I eventually decided that the Myth frontends were just a pain to maintain, and I wanted to be able to play back Blu-ray ISOs in addition to DVDs.   So, I purchased a couple of Popcorn Hour boxes to handle the DVD/Blu-ray playback.   Unfortunately, those things are buggy as I'll get out, and were a major pain just to keep running.   However, I liked the idea of a single box that could do everything I wanted.   So when I saw that XBMC was starting to play back Blu-rays, I made the switch.

The UI on XBMC is okay, however it does have some behaviors that I find annoying.  (Like how you can pull the UI up on top of the playing video.  I prefer something more discrete.   When I am watching a movie, I want to see the movie.   When I pull up the UI for XBMC, I want the movie to stop playing.   Yes, I know that this is largely pilot error on my part, but I feel it is part of a learning curve that is a bit steeper than it needs to be.

That said, I love the integration the XBMC has with MythTV.   The MythTV backend is pretty good for recording TV.  It supports a lot of tuners that have a good range of prices, making it affordable to most people.    This allows me to have all of my media run through a single UI.

One thing that MythTV did VERY well, that XBMC kinda of does okay is its network service integration.   With the later versions of MythTV that I played with, you didn't need to set up any kind of shares in order to view the media that was available.   The backend service could just stream all of the media to the front ends.   The metadata on the various types of media was also stored in a database and fed to the frontends.   This meant that when you wanted to set up a new frontend, you only had to get the software loaded on the front end, give it the IP address of the back end, enter any username and password, and you were off and running.   This resolved some issues like having videos spread out across multiple volumes on the server.  (It all looked like a single file system to the front ends.)    From the perspective of selling the "front end" boxes, having it easy to set up would be a good thing.    There seems to be some possibilities here with the VidOn server, but that server software only appears to run on Windows.    I suspect that most people that have large collections would run their backends on Linux, so getting a Linux version of the VidOn server would be a good thing.   However, that version would also need to be able to run headless.

The other thing that was kind of handy with XBMC was the ability to drop an XML file in with the .ISO files that would override the scraper and populate the metadata that way.   It didn't end up working as well as I would have liked, but it was better that what many other media centers did.   The really nice thing about this type of system is it allowed me the option of using software to manage a database of movies that I owned, which could export to the right format for XBMC to pull in.   This killed two birds with one stone.

Finally, one thing I REALLY liked about XBMC was that the "Movies" menu option would show the movie posters for the most recently added (but unwatched) movies.   This made it easy to figure out what movies I had not yet watched.   This was extra handy around this time of year when Black Friday usually results in my movie collection growing significantly in a short amount of time.

• Wolly Xu likes this

- Video system : Sharp 80" 3D TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-70, Definitive Audio Speakers, 40+ TB (hardware RAID 5) Linux server for Blu-ray and DVD ISOs.

- Network : (2x) HP 3400cl switches, HP 1810-24G, Cisco ASA 5520 router/firewall, Aerohive wireless APs

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discuss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users