• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hhamzeh

hhamzeh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:10 AM

It has been clearly advertised that AV200 supports external hard drives up to 3TB. However, I just connected a 8TB Seagate external hard drive to AV200 and it works. The device recognize, see, and play Bluray ISO files from the hard drive without any problem.

Is the 3TB limitation has been removed with the new firmware 3.1.3? Any possibility that AV200 can work with even larger external hard drives? To me, this is a big plus as external hard drives are considerably cheaper than NAS systems and attaching multiple hard derives with smaller capacity is also inconvenient.

Thanks,

Hassan

#2 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:52 AM

Wow... 8TB within a single drive unit. It's amazing how the sizes of these things increase so quickly!

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

#3 hhamzeh

hhamzeh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:42 PM

Yes, and more amazing fact is that it is more or less the price of a 2TB hard drive a couple of years ago.

I am hoping that one of Vidon folks here can confirm that the latest firmware, (3.1.3) no longer has the 3TB external hard drive maximum size limitation.

#4 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:26 PM

Yes, and more amazing fact is that it is more or less the price of a 2TB hard drive a couple of years ago.

I am hoping that one of Vidon folks here can confirm that the latest firmware, (3.1.3) no longer has the 3TB external hard drive maximum size limitation.

Well I very much doubt that the VidOn.me developers are able to test every make and model of 4TB and above USB connected HDD. Which is why forums are so useful  :zy:

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

#5 hhamzeh

hhamzeh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the response! So, I guess this means that depending on the make and model, the largest available external hard drive may work perfectly OR a 4TB may not work because it is simply not compatible?

I thought that the hard drive capacity limitations are more a firmware thing rather than hard drive manufacturing differences.

#6 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:20 AM

We tested the 6TB HDD, it worked fine, but we don't have an 8TB HDD... :sweat:

#7 hhamzeh

hhamzeh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:18 PM

Thanks Wolly Xu,

Then would it be accurate to say there is no definitive max. hard drive limitation of 3TB for AV200? All it means is that hard drives larger than 3TB have not been extensively tested/verified? If this is correct, the device may work with any size hard drive even a 20TB which may become available in the future.

Thanks again for your response!

#8 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:31 AM

Thanks Wolly Xu,

Then would it be accurate to say there is no definitive max. hard drive limitation of 3TB for AV200? All it means is that hard drives larger than 3TB have not been extensively tested/verified? If this is correct, the device may work with any size hard drive even a 20TB which may become available in the future.

Thanks again for your response!

Now we know 8TB works, but 20TB... I'm not sure. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users