• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBannon

MarkBannon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:20 PM

I believe that  I have a poor connection using WiFi.
The box works fine with a network cable but has been iffy using WiFi.  My router is ~ 3m away in the hall (line of sight) but sometimes the speed is so low I have had to use the cable - not a safe option for family and visitors stepping over it.  Upstairs, it can detect the router (low signal) but simply doesn't connect.  No problem with all my other WiFi devices including a different TV box.  And I changed routers as well.
Is this a hardware or software weakness?
Is there a specific router setting that I need to optimise the WiFi signal for the Vidon box?

#2 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:14 AM

Personally I don't recommend that any (video) media playback device is connected to a network via WiFi...

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

#3 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:11 AM

WiFi in general is not stable, if you want to watch Blu-ray iso, you really should use a cable.

The VidOn Box offers a WiFi speed of 150Mb/s and utilises a 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz connection. It does not offer a 5GHz WiFi (802.11 ac) connection.

We recently tried playing a Blu-ray main movie (about 20GB) over the WiFi, the router (an old Tenda 300M router) was less than 1 meter away from the box, the movie played without buffer or stuck. But sadly everyone's WiFi set-up is different

Sufficed to say, we here at VidOn do not recommend the use of WiFi to play BD.iso files!

#4 MarkBannon

MarkBannon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I accept what you say, it's just that it seems odd to me that the Vidon box struggles to connect to the router when other devices have no problem whatsoever so I assume that this box's WiFi hardware is inferior to many other devices or is unduly affected by interference.

Time to explore other options.

#5 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:32 PM

Out of interest...

What are your other devices and what type of media files are you playing on them?

MODERATOR NOTE:
Topic closed due to lack of response by the original poster... 

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users