• LocationSweden
  • Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 2.0.0.0
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4
  • iPad:2

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:22 AM

Hi!

I have spent a lot of hours troubleshooting this before I figured out that the VidOn-box is causing this.
When the box is connected, the HDMI CEC is not working on any device.

If I disconnect the HDMI-cable to the box my TV finds all other devices.
I saw that the issue is raised before but nothing happened in over 6 month!!!
When are you going to fix this and/or publish the issue/bug so that your costumers don’t have to troubleshoot their setup?
Why don’t have a “Known issue / Known bugs” in the forum?
I was ready to put away my box before I saw that the problem was PIN 13 on the box!!

My setup is:
Dreambox -> HDMI to 5.1 Receiver
VidOn Box -> HDMI to 5.1 Receiver
Blu Ray Player -> HDMI to 5.1 Receiver
5.1 Receiver -> HDMI to TV

I removed PIN 13 on the HDMI-cable connected to the VidOn-box and the TV found all other devices and now the HDMI CEC works.

Best Regards,
Jonas Andersson

#2 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:34 AM

Indeed...

There's already been much discussion about this issue. Which can be found here: http://forum.vidon.m...the-hdmi-chain/

It would appear that nothing that can be done to change how the hardware functions (most probably a design issue with the stock HDMI chip-set and Android). Meaning a third-party HDMI dongle will be required...

Cheers

Edit: I like your idea of a 'known issues' area on the forum :)
  • Jonas_Andersson likes this

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

#3 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:54 AM

Agree, the HDMI CEC issue is indeed a known issue, and it's a hardware problem, so unless upgrade the hardware we can do nothing about this.

#4 Jonas_Andersson

Jonas_Andersson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:07 PM

Agree, the HDMI CEC issue is indeed a known issue, and it's a hardware problem, so unless upgrade the hardware we can do nothing about this.

Hi Wolly!
I don't agree with that statement, I do think that things can be done here.

1. First of all make your costumers aware of the problem by publish it under “Known Issues” in the forum.
2. Make suggestions to a resolution e.g.. “If you like to do it your self: Physically remove Pin 13 from the HDMI-Cable (and a nice guide)”, buy a “HDMI CEC Less” adaptor.
3. Ship the box with a alternative modified HDMI cable.
4. In the specs write out that the box can’t handle HDMI CEC and it may disrupt other devices.

If the information is easy to get then I and perhaps others wouldn’t need to spend hours to figure out the problem. After the problem was clear to me I only spent 15 min to remove the pin and test.
That would be to take care of your costumers, not saying that you are not but you would benefit from it in the long run!

Best Regards,
Jonas Andersson

#5 alexkuzko

alexkuzko

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • Devices:Dune HD Base 3.0
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.6
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • SDK:v 1.3

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:21 PM

If I understood it correctly the Box is no longer manufactured and sold out.

So, I'm afraid we left with partially working players...

(AV200 / SDK 3.1.3 / XBMC 1.1.0.2) + (Box / SDK 1.2/1.3 / XBMC 0.0.0.4/6) /  Updated: 02/03/2015

#6 Jonas_Andersson

Jonas_Andersson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:54 PM

If I understood it correctly the Box is no longer manufactured and sold out.

So, I'm afraid we left with partially working players...

Hi Alex!

That one has totaly slipt past me  :shame:  

Then I understand better :smile:

Is there any information why?

Best Regards,

Jonas Andersson

#7 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:42 AM

Hey guys.
Yes the box is no longer manufactured and sold out, because it's a low specs device, everyone now wants a high-end device, most of them think VidOn Box's hardware is out of date.

VidOn Box has its own features, such as BD-J menu, BD 3D iso playback and HD audio passthrough, But it also has its bugs, like the issues you guys found, it doesn't support CEC, it may has static electricity Problems because it uses a Aluminum case and some amplifiers have the compatibility with this box.

This is the first box we designed (AV100 and AV200 were rebranded from MeLE, we just provided a VidOn XBMC), so we are sorry this little box brings you so much trouble. Before our customers post those issues on the forum, we even didn't know the box has those problems. We can fix the software bugs, but for the hardware issues, it's really hard to fix.

#8 Jonas_Andersson

Jonas_Andersson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:37 AM

Yes the box is no longer manufactured and sold out, because it's a low specs device, everyone now wants a high-end device, most of them think VidOn Box's hardware is out of date.

For me it’s more important that the product delivers recording to what you promise. Don’t care if the hardware is “old” as long as the device can handle what’s in the specs. I’m satisfied with what the box is giving me for that money J

This is the first box we designed (AV100 and AV200 were rebranded from MeLE, we just provided a VidOn XBMC), so we are sorry this little box brings you so much trouble. Before our customers post those issues on the forum, we even didn't know the box has those problems. We can fix the software bugs, but for the hardware issues, it's really hard to fix.

All hardware/software has bugs, no argue there. The features is the reason I bought the device J
Why not create a “Known Issues” section in the forum?

If you can’t fix a hardware problem within the product perhaps a workaround is good enough? Send a workaround would cost you money but it’s priceless in the Goodwill you gain?
Why not create a “Known Issues” section in the forum? Some issues may not have a solution but a workaround.
“so we are sorry this little box brings you so much trouble” – I hope this is not meant to be ironic

#9 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:52 PM

Why not create a “Known Issues” section in the forum? Some issues may not have a solution but a workaround.

Thanks for your suggestion. When I have the time I will endeavour to create a 'known issues' pinned topic.

Many thanks

MODERATOR NOTE:
Sadly, I'm going to close this topic - just in-case likethatbox takes it into off-topic territory again! 

• Jonas_Andersson likes this

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users