Photo

WiFi does not appear to be working

Network Set-up

Best Answer fwire , 15 June 2015 - 09:38 PM

I entered all of the info under settings wifi.  that appeared to have saved the network.  I then went to "advanced" and turned the wifi on and off and just kind of "tried stuff there" until it (again) asked for the network password.  I entered the info here and wifi connection started to work.  it was not intuitive, and If I had to do it again I'm sure I would be fiddling with it until I found the magic combination tat allowed me to connect again.  not intuitive at all...  but it does work.  I also found that you need to increase the caching and buffer size in order to prevent freezes while watching on wireless...  I just maxed them both. since I do not plan to store much or install a lot of apps on the box itself.

Good luck.  if you do ID the magic combo - post it here so others will be able to search this and find the info.

Good Luck,

fwire

Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 fwire

fwire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:47 AM

Hi all

I'm pretty new to VidOn but I have to say that overall I'm pretty happy with the product with the exception of one feature... WIFI. I have a wireless router and have used it to connect to MANY devices and have the password memorized. everything is set up to be DHCP, and I let the router hand out the IPs.

I'm hoping this is something that I'm doing wrong with my setup on the box - I go into networking and select wireless, select my home network, select advanced settings, select DHCP, enter the password and connect... and nothing happens. The status is still disconnected, there is no IP address etc. etc. I tried rebooting the box a couple of times without success... I've deleted the saved network and re-added it. The wireless strength is listed as excellent, and seems like it should be just work?

Does someone have a cheat-sheet that walks through how to setup AND CONNECT to WIFI? Either I'm missing something (likely) or the box is broken out of the box (unlikely). 

Thanks in advance. fwire

#2 fwire

fwire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:08 PM

It took a bit but I finally got it to work.  However I NEVER got it to work form the WIFI menus and the "connect" button.  I went to the "advanced: area and playing with wireless there.  I'm not sure if that is a bug or if that is how its supposed to work - but it sure as heck was not intuitive.  Anyway its working now.  I had some stutter and pausing issues but after setting the buffer sizes to their maximums that seems to have gone away.

Thanks All,

fwire

#3 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• VidOn.me Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationBeijing
  • Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.4 Beta
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.6
  • SDK:v 1.2
  • Android Phone:TY K-Touch E88
  • Android Pad:Kindle Fire 1

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:03 AM

Hey fwire, 

What settings in the VidOn Box did you have to manipulate to allow access to your wifi network?

#4 fwire

fwire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:38 PM   Best Answer

I entered all of the info under settings wifi.  that appeared to have saved the network.  I then went to "advanced" and turned the wifi on and off and just kind of "tried stuff there" until it (again) asked for the network password.  I entered the info here and wifi connection started to work.  it was not intuitive, and If I had to do it again I'm sure I would be fiddling with it until I found the magic combination tat allowed me to connect again.  not intuitive at all...  but it does work.  I also found that you need to increase the caching and buffer size in order to prevent freezes while watching on wireless...  I just maxed them both. since I do not plan to store much or install a lot of apps on the box itself.

Good luck.  if you do ID the magic combo - post it here so others will be able to search this and find the info.

Good Luck,

fwire

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Network Set-up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users