• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 edwacalder

edwacalder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

Anybody have any experience getting root access or installing a custom ROM on the box?

#2 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

Please refer to the comment within this topic.

Cheers

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

#3 mrmetis

mrmetis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:51 PM

You can root the box using KingRoot app:

http://androidxda.co...oot-application

Each time the box freezes, unplug the box and start the process again.

It can take up to 30 min, but you'll eventually get root access.

The benefits of rooting it ? I was not an happy customer, but now I'm happier because of the benefits:

There is many:

- My seagate external HD formatted in EXT4 wasn't able to automount. Since I've rooted it, I can mount it manually.

- I can get rid of the fantasys (Disable CPUs when no big load) scaling governor and always put the performance on. Its not a phone, I don't care if its always running full specs.

- The 4 CPUs can stay online

- By default the max freq CPU speed is 1080000 when it can do 1200000, so you can change it permanently

- You can change the framebuffer resolution with fbset -fb /dev/graphics/fb0

- You can tweak sysctl.conf file

- you can tweak Build.prop file

- You can install apps that need root access

- You can install more devices (kernel modules .ko compatibles)

- etc

My tweaks gave me a faster box, a smoother UI experience and a more stable box.

But beware, if you don't know what you're doing you can brick your box (ie remounting rw the system directory and deleting mandatory files)

#4 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• VidOn.me Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationBeijing
  • Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.4 Beta
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.6
  • SDK:v 1.2
  • Android Phone:TY K-Touch E88
  • Android Pad:Kindle Fire 1

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:49 AM

Hey guys,

The questions of properly rooting the box is a tricky one, as mrmetis has pointed out, so if you proceed to attempt a root you must do so AT YOUR OWN RISK. VidOn.me and our resellers will not assume responsibility for a box that has been bricked by a user because non-VidOn.me software was installed on it.

As well, by attemping such you will void your warranty.

So please think twice about rooting your boxes, but if you really know what you are doing and are willing and ready to assume full responsibility for the outcome, have fun with it.

Joe

#5 mrmetis

mrmetis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

Like Joe said, rooting is for advanced users only. I'm not responsible for your actions.

Little walkthrough:

- Root with the link above (As I explained, when it freezes, unplug/plug the device again and restart the app, it takes time, but eventually you will get root)

- Install BusyBox from  Google Store

- Install any ssh server app from Google Store

- Connect to the machine and have fun.

As I explained in my previous post, my 1TB HD formatted in EXT4 that had my movies wasn't able to mount at all (I was very disappointed, I bought the Box in January and I didn't really have the time to hack it, and it wasn't as out of the box as it should have been). For the ones having the same problem as me:

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/<mount_point>

My device was on sda1, but if yours is different, you can check by doing dmesg and search, or by looking in /dev/block for sda*, sdb*, sdc*

To remount /system rw:

mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/by-name/system /system

For the one that know what they are doing, here's a couple of tweaks I did /found:

http://pastebin.com/1mfNjmbA

Cheers

• Joe likes this

#6 mrmetis

mrmetis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:15 PM

BTW, if someone finds some other tweaks/optimizations, it would be cool that you share them here for the community.

#7 kitipon

kitipon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:47 PM

Any body can get root?

#8 mrmetis

mrmetis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 04:56 PM

you need root to do this.

Another tweak:

if you want to move none-moveable applications to SD CARD, you can enable the usb debugging mode in the advanced settings then connect via ssh to the box.

run theses commands:

adb shell pm get-install-location

you should see:

0[auto]

now run

adb shell pm set-install-location 2

run this again:

adb shell pm get-install-location

you shoud now see:

2[external]

Enjoy!

#9 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:31 AM

It's awesome! :smile:

#10 inonsence

inonsence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:26 PM

正在困惑于如何把APP转移到SD。非常神奇,可以试试了。

#11 divyanshi2

divyanshi2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:54 PM

Get steps for How to Root Android for rooting and create free space for usable application instead of inbuilt apps of company.

#12 James190

James190

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

Just saw Pitch Perfect 3 trailer. Looks like its going to be another year of fun ride. Incredibly excited to see the Bella ladies returning on screen. Wish there was something going on between Beca and Chloe in this one. Give something for use queer ladies too, will you Trish ;)
To know about Pitch Perfect 3 just take a look and you get all the information you need Pitch Perfect 3 Release Date

#13 GrandMaster

GrandMaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:22 AM

Mrmetis can you explain how you connect to the vidonbox? I saw something to change 4.4.2 version of Android into 5.0 and a hard reboot was neccesary. But if i try that it puts it back to the factory settings. Would be nice to alter the factory zettings so it downloads or uploads to lollipop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Feature Request

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users