Photo

3.1.3: Bricked/red light problems. And "VidOn.me desktop has stopped working" problems!

Hardware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
137 replies to this topic

#81 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hi ,

i update to Firmware v3.1.5 img video have problem and need back to 3.1.3 but cant why ?

if v3.1.6 no problem pls give me link 

Hi, you can find the firmware download link on the official website.

First, burn this image to your box: http://vidon.me/down..._mars-ml220.img
And download this zip file to update to v3.1.3 : http://www.vidon.me/...l220_update.zip

Here is the tutorial to teach you reinstall the firmware
http://vidon.me/supp...eration/91.html
Here is the tutorial to teach you how to update your firmware: http://vidon.me/supp...oducts/287.html

#82 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

Hi ,i update to Firmware v3.1.5 img video have problem and need back to 3.1.3 but cant why ?

I guess it's worth mentioning again to anyone who missed it... DO NOT INSTALL 'hardware SDK' version 3.1.5. As it has not been approved for use by VidOn.me!
For anyone who needs to find the most up-to date softwares, firmwares, etc. Please refer to the: Latest Official Releases sub-section of the forum...

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

#83 stb2xxx

stb2xxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTehran, Iran

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

Hi, you can find the firmware download link on the official website.

First, burn this image to your box: http://vidon.me/down..._mars-ml220.img
And download this zip file to update to v3.1.3 : http://www.vidon.me/...l220_update.zip

Here is the tutorial to teach you reinstall the firmware
http://vidon.me/supp...eration/91.html
Here is the tutorial to teach you how to update your firmware: http://vidon.me/supp...oducts/287.html

hi
after burn 3.1.5 cant burn this http://vidon.me/down..._mars-ml220.img
cant downgraded to 3.1.3
pls cheek

I guess it's worth mentioning again to anyone who missed it... DO NOT install 'hardware SDK' version 3.1.5. As it has not been approved for use by VidOn.me!

For anyone who needs to find the most up-to date softwares, firmwares, etc. Please refer to the: Latest Official Releases sub-section of the forum...

i test all img and way unit back to life only with 3.1.5 img understand

#84 stb2xxx

stb2xxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTehran, Iran

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

How can fix the problem ?

#85 GregiBoy

GregiBoy

The Wizard of Oz

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • Devices:RT1186 Linux
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.6
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • SDK:v 1.3
  • Android Phone:Medion AP4
  • Android Pad:Medion Lifetab

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:39 AM

Where are people getting v3.1.5 from?

#86 stb2xxx

stb2xxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTehran, Iran

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

Where are people getting v3.1.5 from?

i think ver 3.1.5 only for bricked unit recovery and have 3d blu-ray play problem and need  usb update after recovery but you cant

i think need vidon.me  relase 3.1.6 update for fix problem 

wating for answer... 

#87 stb2xxx

stb2xxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTehran, Iran

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

How can fix the problem ?

anybody help ?

#88 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:55 AM

stb2xxx, sorry about the trouble, please contact us for replacement or refund.

#89 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

So I let the system upgrade my AV200 a couple days ago and last night I noticed the dreaded red light on my AV200.

Now it won't start up. I pull the plug. I hold the power button for 10 seconds. NOTHING!! (I can't find a reset button)

This thing is supposed to be an appliance not a computer. You plug it in, it works or it doesn't. If it doesn't you take it back and get another.

Am I wrong here?

I sort of like the device even if the Netflix app is crappy and there isn't an Amazon Prime app.

What do I do to fix it before my wife throws it in the dust bin?

#90 phillihp23

phillihp23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

I went to turn my AV200 on today and it appears to be bricked. Blue light comes on for like 2 seconds and VidOnme screen pops up....then red light and black screen. Unplug and replug it in. Blue light for 2 seconds and then Red light. Tried it numerous times. Now it just sits there with a RED light or I unplug it. It had been sitting there turned off. I guess its bricked...

#91 VandylEyez

VandylEyez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

Hi,

I have no idea if this info is relevant or just a coincidence but I bought my AV200 in December 2013, used it briefly in January and found it was 'bricked' upon startup in late Feb. It had been almost a month and a half between uses. I followed the threads here for a while hoping for a fix. After leaving the box unplugged and untouched for a month I happened to uninstall the Vidonme remote control from my iphone 3S and later that day on a whim plugged in the AV200. It worked but had reset itself to factory. I waited through the initial startup process, updated to the latest version of XBMC and configured all my settings-adding Fusion repository. I backed up my settings to an external HD and haven't had an issue in over a week.

I'm still using v3.1.3 as the 2GB SD card I burned the 3.1.5 image to was apparently incompatible. Still waiting for an issue to arise and I'll post back if/when it does but wondering which, if any, of these variables had something to do w/ the (at least temporary) fix:
1) Leaving the device unplugged for an extended length of time
2) Uninstalling remote control from iphone 3S (remote control installed in Android OS on my Galaxy Proclaim appears harmless)
3) Updating to newest ver of XBMC

HI,

After my first post I was testing/using my AV200 daily w/ no problems for two weeks. I left it plugged in to an always live electrical socket without powering it up for a month and now it's bricked w/ the red light again.

Based on the memory leak theory which is supported by the time delay when mailing them back, I'm attempting to narrow down the actual amount of time it takes to 'drain' and get back up & running.

So far, I've tried powering up after

6 hours (of complete disconnection from noticed failure)-didn't work

12 hours-didn't work

18 hours-didn't work

24 hours-didn't work

36 hours-didn't work

Tonight at 8PM will be the 48 hour mark since I last unplugged it. If it doesn't work I'm going to +24hr intervals.

Hopefully I'm not chasing a ghost. I'll post back what I find whether useful or not.

• VandylEyez likes this

#92 VandylEyez

VandylEyez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:31 AM

Just powered up at the 48 hour mark. It didn't work either but instead of waiting another 3 days I tried some things and (inadvertantly) got the box running.

Here's exactly what I did:

1. Booted up normally & got the red light

2. Held the power button on front of the box until the light turned blue

3. Released the power button and although the light remained blue nothing appeared on the tv screen ("no signal" was bouncing around)

4. Unplugged & reconnected the power cable from behind the box within a 4 second time frame. Red light appeared immediately

5. Simultaneously held the power button on front of the box & the Upgrade button on bottom of the box for 30 seconds.

5b. Light turned blue while holding the buttons and remained blue after releasing them w/ "no signal" onscreen.

6. Unplugged & reconnected the power cable from behind the box within a 4 second time frame.

6b. Vidonme loaded normally w/ the previous mods/additions intact that I mentioned in my initial May 6th post.

All is going well at the moment.

I'm going to make sure to disconnect the power each time I turn off the machine to see if that's a possible workaround for the time being.

I'll post any significant info.

Hope this helps

#93 VandylEyez

VandylEyez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

Same issue. Becomes a brick if you leave it powered on. Put it on a powerbar with on/off switch as a work around. Hopefully there will be a firmware fix as it seems to be a memory leak. Had to revert back to XBMC 1.0.1.1 because 1.0.1.2 when press pause causes the box to power off.

Following Chainer's advice explicitly, I've attached my box to a power strip. Although too early for any concrete evidence, after 11 hours my AV200 powered up fine after being completely unplugged from any power source for that duration.

• vodevil likes this

#94 djfirestorm

djfirestorm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
  • VMC:Not Specified

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:43 AM

Hurray - got it working (thanks to SeeMoreDigital) and I found the hidden reset button. Shame it can't default to XMBC rather than going through the 'droid interface I wonder what I can do with that? Thanks again

I found the reset button when I was :ahem: taking it the box apart to see what was inside. LOL Ya ya, I am sure my warranty is void, but it don't matter...gotta fulfill my tester badge somehow, and knowing the internals helps IMO haha. (do not do it because I did, I have experience with this stuff, not that it is hard, but still, VidOn wouldn't be happy if we all cracked them open and broke things)
I was also trying to see if I could get my antennae to stop flopping down since it was lose, but its a plastic tab and I am not sure I can fix it besides replacing it. I probably have an old router with the same antennae so I will probably steal that lol.

I have purchased 3 AV200 units. One of them is dead. I have tried updating via an SD card to 3.1.5 but it stop about a 1/4 of the way through and the light on the front starts flashing faster. Can anyone advise? Having purchased them before the current special and now having a broken one, I'm pretty upset.

Try formatting the SD card to FAT aka FAT16 and not FAT32 which is standard. You will need aftermarket software if your running Windows 7 and up. With the Motorola devices I use with my job, we also can not use flash memory past 4GB. Someone else suggested to try a different SD, but to be more clear, a different brand, not just physically a different card.

Also sometimes it is the way Windows formats it in general when using FAT32. I had to use this with my car to get my MP3's to load. It is a Windows GUI version of fat32format. Get it here!
This tool will also properly format USB sticks 64GB and up to FAT32.

#95 tarheeltater

tarheeltater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

I bought a remote controlled appliance switch for my AV200.  Its an extra step to turn on but i have not had any issues with a dead box since i have been doing this

#96 phillihp23

phillihp23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

So i unplugged my box for like a week. Plugged it back in and it booted up o.k. Prompted for a XBMC update and updated fine.  It appears that we are on to something with the leak issue. I will unplug it when done using it today. And see if it boots up ok next time I plug it in and use it.

• VandylEyez likes this

#97 tony cinema

tony cinema

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

We're trying to find out the reason, once I'm told how to fix it, I will post it here.

Hi Do you have any update on how to fix the message desktop has stoped working issue yet please....

FYI I have been turning my box off after every time i use it & i haven't had a problem with the brick thing.. just the anoying message & having to clear it

Thanks

#98 bozman

bozman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:16 AM

I am getting the message "desktop has stopped working". I think this has a different cause than the brick issue. Not that I know a lot about this but...I think the desktop stopped working is a problem with communication from modem/router. I have connected via wireless. If I change to ethernet in settings (and I have no ethernet connection) the message stops repeating. I changed my modem to an older one (speedtouch) and i no longer get the message via wireless. Interestingly it is happening with my new Billion 8800AXL, but only after I upgraded to a faster internet speed. Hopefully this helps someone with more knowledge find the cause and find a solution.

#99 benbart

benbart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:49 AM

I had similar problem. Plug it in you see red led then change to blue. Screen says "vidonme" for 5-6 seconds but then led turns red and screen goes black.

I left it on for 3 days strait  and still red and black screen. The boot up is corrupt. somehow and now its dead. I tried to load good firmware with SDcard.The program loaded the mars-ml220_update.img to the card correctly with good log output, but it never changed anything when you dumped sdcard to the box with the tiny switch on bottom of box pushed in..

Anyhow...

Unplugged power for 10 or 12 days. NOW plug in power and its working PERFECT.

Somehow with power off for a long - long time Fixes the Boot Up.

This is VERY Interesting behavior .

• VandylEyez likes this

#100 VandylEyez

VandylEyez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

My AV200 is still working great using the unplugging method.

No idea why or what it means but the last couple times I power it up this screen appears initially:

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users