Photo

3.1.3: Bricked/red light problems. And "VidOn.me desktop has stopped working" problems!

Hardware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
137 replies to this topic

#61 Strascak

Strascak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

I am still getting the freezing issue but here is something else I have noticed. I can watch a movie or two (using USB connected HDD's) and shut off the AV200 with the remote. However, when I go to turn on the AV200 with the remote this is what happens. 1 Press "power" on the AV200 remote, the AV200's power light stays Red but you can hear and feel the AV200 has turned on, also the HDD's power up. 2. No matter how long you wait, the Blue power light on the AV 200 never turns on and the TV reports "no signal" when set to the AV200. 3. Unplug the AV200 for 5-10 seconds, and plug back in. 4. The AV 200 no turns on (with Blue) light and is seen by the TV. 5. Once completely powered up, I still get the "the AV200 has stopped working" message but (if you press buttons quickly enough) you can get to the XBMC player and start a movie.

#62 GregiBoy

GregiBoy

The Wizard of Oz

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • Devices:RT1186 Linux
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.6
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • SDK:v 1.3
  • Android Phone:Medion AP4
  • Android Pad:Medion Lifetab

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

Does it boot without the drive(s) connected?

#63 tony cinema

tony cinema

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:30 PM

Hi the v200 has been working fine till recently. it has become hard to turn it on & sometimes took 10 - 20 minutes to get it to start. I have re installed the firm ware, but i am still getting the message "vidonme desktop has stopped working.... how do i fix this. thanks

#64 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:55 AM

This topic may help you http://forum.vidon.m...icial-releases/

#65 fba

fba

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA
  • VidOn XBMC:Old Version
  • SDK:v 1.2
  • Android Phone:Nexus 5, others
  • Android Pad:Galaxy Tab II, others

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

I too have the dead AV200 issue. However, since the boxes seem to heal themselves when being sent back to the VidOn.me guys, I am trying to gather enough information on what is happening while it is in the broken state so that I can possibly help them. However, none of the SD cards I have laying around seem to be supported by the Phoenix utility.

Can anyone give me info on an SD card that is easily obtainable in the US that they know works? (Links to someplace like Amazon to buy one would be really great too.)

FWIW, I'm happy to share what little info I have managed to dig out. From what I can tell so far, the firmware built in to the box is what is showing the initial VidOn.me logo that you are seeing when you press and hold the button to boot the box. Behind the scenes, the box starts up U-boot and then goes in to the Android Fastboot loader. From the loader the firmware indicates that it is attempting to load the kernel at which point the output I can get stops, and the box usually powers down. I have had at least one time that the LED remained blue on the front indicating that something else was going on at that time. I don't know if the box stopping at the log line indicating that the kernel is loading is actually where it is failing, or if the kernel needs to have some kind of parameters passed to it to redirect the startup output, so I am trying to go down that path while also trying to find an SD card that might allow me to flash the latest SDK and see if it changes anything.

My initial working theory is that there is something going on during the start up that is causing a race condition. I have no theories as to what it is that might be causing the race condition, but it is a theory that would allow for the boxes to seem to go dead while being powered off and at the same time allow them to work fine when they are returned. It would all be a matter of luck.

******** One thing I want to point out. There are a lot of people on here bashing the VidOn.me guys for not finding a fix yet. I am not doing what I am doing as a way of bashing them in any way. I genuinely want to help so that we can all enjoy the boxes we have purchased. Also, as a software developer myself, I understand how difficult it can be to track down certain types of problems and how having someone that is even marginally knowledgeable in the field that can reproduce the issue can lead to an "ah-ha" moment that results in a fix.

I understand the frustration of those who purchased the AV200 only to have this, and other issues make them feel like it was a waste of money. To those people, I would say you have four real choices on how to handle your frustration.
1) Request a refund and go away.
2) Bitch about it on the forum and waste the time of the VidOn.me folks that may be able to look in to the problem.
3) Provide any information that might help them figure out what is wrong so that we can all benefit.
4) Wait quietly for a solution. I would request that those of you that feel like doing #2 please instead consider #1. Making the VidOn.me guys read your rants doesn't help. For those of you that feel like you want to join me with option #3, I encourage you to post your findings.

Did you do something that you think may have changed the behavior of the box in some way? Post it. You may feel like there is no way that could have impacted what the problem is with the box, and you may be right. However, in my own experience troubleshooting problems, I often find myself telling others, "There is NO WAY that could be happening... You would have to ...." at which point I suddenly have a flash of an idea which might help solve the problem. At the same time, please do be careful of what you post. If there is anything in your post that you think could lead to a security issue with the box, please contact the VidOn.me guys directly first. Also, if you get information from them, please keep it to yourself unless you have permission to spread it. (I obviously have some lower level access to the box. However I don't know that the VidOn.me guys what the information on how to do that to be public. So, I won't make it public.)

My final comment is that we all bought these boxes with ideas on how we wanted to use them. The best way to get what you want is to form a good user community around the box, and help the VidOn.me guys provide what it is you are looking for. (Or, to possibly convince them to open things up enough that the community can add some of the things we want.) If we as a community are responsive and helpful to them, then hopefully they will return the favor. In that situation, we all win. Anyway, off my soap box now. ;)

One more quick aside. I am not affiliated with VidOn.me in any way beyond being identified as an early release tester. And, as an early release tester, I have not yet been provided with any software or hardware that might influence my feelings on the matter. (I only get the spiffy notification under my name on the forums.) I am just an average user like anyone else that wants to get my AV200 working for the purpose I envisioned using it for. When it is working correctly, I find that it is the closest thing I have found that fits my desires for how I want to use it. So, I just want to help push things along to try to get it as close as possible to how I want it to be.

Sorry for the long-winded post. ;)

#66 tony cinema

tony cinema

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:57 PM

Hi well I tried your suggestion but it did not sort out the message unfortunately video.me desktop has stopped. It's unless as it just keeps circulating this message.

#67 jsimard

jsimard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada
  • Devices:NeoTV 550
  • VidOn XBMC:v 14.2.0

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

I agree with you,

if we provide all the facts we see, we should determine what is and what is not the problem. In my case, my AV200 went dead a while back. But I was waiting for a fix before restarting it.

Since it went dead, I unplugged the power cable from the box and let it stand on its own, LAN and HDMI cable still in. No external SD card inserted. Yesterday, I decided to reconnect power and hit the power button on the remote and bingo! The AV200 started without any issue. When I started XBMC, it told me there was a newer version. I downloaded and installed it. Rebooted the box and watched a Movie without any problem.

Isn't it looking like the people that had the dead problem, shipped their unit back to Vidon.Me, and no problem found when the lab connected back the box...... So looks like the problem goes away after a while unplugged.

Let's see what others report on this issue.

Joel.

#68 tony cinema

tony cinema

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

Hi Wolly I tried that but i still get the message "unfortunately VidOn.me desktop has stoped" i press ok & it goes away for a minute then comes back......

#69 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

We're trying to find out the reason, once I'm told how to fix it, I will post it here.

#70 tony cinema

tony cinema

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

That's great, Thanks

#71 tarheeltater

tarheeltater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

I was not complaining, I was just looking for help. I emailed the support team. They told me to unplug the AV200 and leave the HDMI cable in. Success, after a dead box with a side load of the firmware, the box is back up and running Great job on finding a fixk

#72 bdsii

bdsii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIle-de-France, France
  • VidOn XBMC:v 1.0.0.0
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • SDK:v 1.2

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

I have the same problem, when i start the box the led was red and sometimes blue and red but when i unplugged the power for couples hours the box work normally.

#73 Chainer

Chainer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

Same issue. Becomes a brick if you leave it powered on. Put it on a powerbar with on/off switch as a work around. Hopefully there will be a firmware fix as it seems to be a memory leak. Had to revert back to XBMC 1.0.1.1 because 1.0.1.2 when press pause causes the box to power off.

#74 treble

treble

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia, Australia

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

I have purchased 3 AV200 units. One of them is dead. I have tried updating via an SD card to 3.1.5 but it stop about a 1/4 of the way through and the light on the front starts flashing faster. Can anyone advise? Having purchased them before the current special and now having a broken one, I'm pretty upset.

#75 knerzelman

knerzelman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBaden-Wurttemberg, Germany

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

I would use a different SD card and format it from scratch before use. Maybe the internal flash of the box is broken though.

#76 jdovi

jdovi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNew York, USA

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:16 AM

I'm having the same issue. Now all of a sudden all I have is the red light. I made the SD restoration card no problem but I can't get it to boot. It just stays a red light no matter what I do.

#77 Survey1

Survey1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationRheinland-Pfalz, Germany

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

I've had the red light of death twice now and both times "fixed" it by letting the box fully discharge... I unplugged it and left it unplugged for 1-2 days and then plugged it back up and it started up normally without having to reinstall the firmware.  I got this idea from the other posts that indicated that they sent back their box to VidOn.me and by the time it got to them, the boxes started up normally for them without any problems.  Not sure if the cause of my problem was the same as any of yours, but I did have the same symptoms... red and blue light on at the same time or just the red light stayed on, remote and power button unresponsive, and either had no start-up screen or locked at the start-up screen without the bouncing logo... hope this helps.

#78 Strascak

Strascak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:23 AM

I have used the latest firmware SDK v3.1.5. 

Its my AV200 is always connected to power but turned off each night with the remote.  For the last month or more, I have had to flash the firmware at least every week or sooner.  It seems as though the AV200 firmware settings are being forgotten or corrupted in 7 days or less. 

Since using the SDK v 3.1.5, I installed it last Sunday and haven't used the AV200 in about 3 days and now on Friday night, the AV200 boots up and then powers off on its own. 

So this last firmware upgrade actually shortened the time it took for the AV200 to become unstable.

Thanks
Kevin

MODERATOR NOTE:
As mentioned previously on the forum... DO NOT install 'hardware SDK' version 3.1.5. As it has not been approved for use by VidOn.me!
For anyone who needs to find the most up-to date softwares, firmwares, etc. Please refer to the: Latest Official Releases sub-section of the forum... 

#79 Strascak

Strascak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

Well my AV200 died again.  It's only lasting about 4-5 days now before having to reload the firmware.  Are we getting any closer to solving this issue?

Thanks

#80 stb2xxx

stb2xxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTehran, Iran

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

Hi, GregiBoy. Firmware v3.1.5 is not an official release version, let's wait v3.1.6.

Hi ,

i update to Firmware v3.1.5 img video have problem and need back to 3.1.3 but cant why ?

if v3.1.6 no problem pls give me link

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users