Photo

3.1.3: Bricked/red light problems. And "VidOn.me desktop has stopped working" problems!

Hardware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
137 replies to this topic

#21 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:18 AM

I have the same problem. Went through all the steps and contacted CS. Right now it is a brick. Not sure how long to wait on this but patience is running low.

Hi,

according to our Warranty, the term of Hardware Problems During Warranty Period, you can ship the faulty box back to us for repair or replace a new one if it can not be fixed.

#22 sartanscorps

sartanscorps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

If it was a hardware problem, why would it boot and accept the OS off the SD card (dead/brick reload)? My money is on a bad setting in the power management/wake code.

#23 AmigaWolf

AmigaWolf

Non-VidOn Box User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationNoord-Holland, Netherlands

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

If it was a hardware problem, why would it boot and accept the OS off the SD card (dead/brick reload)? My money is on a bad setting in the power management/wake code.

Yes i also think it's that, because we on MeLE have the same problem, but some one says he found a fix for that problem, maybe it will work on the VidOn boxes. He has don this: -

Ok so i finally got my box working properly, with out any problems here is what i did. everything works perfect. first i burned the V2.2.0 sd version firmware and flashed my box Then i update via usb to the latest firmware V3.1.2 Installed audio patch Then installed all my apps My box powers on fast ,no more shutting down no freezing , no mele launcher stopped, vidon xbmc works perfect , 5.1 passthrough works now.

Hope this works for you guys.

#24 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

ok I finally got this to work, I have windows 8.1 64-bit, Before running the phoenix suit software I Ran in Windows XP service pack 3 compatibility mode and ran as administrator. I will warn you that the once the "burn begins" it will take a bit to complete the multiple burns it does on the card

#25 No8

No8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHawke's Bay, New Zealand

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:24 AM

I have the same problem. Went through all the steps and contacted CS. Right now it is a brick. Not sure how long to wait on this but patience is running low.

I too have the same problem.
It has been going fine but as of today it will not turn on.
It just shows a red light continually.
If I press and hold the on button in the front for 10 seconds the blue light will come on for 4-5 seconds and then it goes to red
The display does not work at all. I see nothing so I believe it is not even booting
I have looked at the forums but I do not see a easy answer.
I have not done any mods or tried any beta software.
I only use it for XBMC
I have upgraded this to version 1.0.0.9 on Friday night
It worked OK on Friday night and Saturday after the update
Today it has become a brick.
I too have contacted by email CS and will wait for a resolution

#26 sharpie88

sharpie88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

I too am having the red light problem. I have done the reinstallation 3-4 times already. Out of no where the AV200 just doesn't load the box like normal with the logo screen but turns off with a red light 4-5 seconds. I am getting pretty frustrated with this. Has anyone found a fix or have any other ideas of what might be causing this red power light issue?

UPDATE: As I was writing my earlier post, my AV200 just went into the red light mode again. So I decided to restore it with the image again for the 4 or 5th time already. Odd was this time, after it completed the restore, as I unplugged the power cable and take out the SD card, then plug the power cable back in, the AV200 started off with blue light and 4-5 seconds later, it turned off into red light again. I did the restore another 3 more times with no success. I then tried using a new SD card and burn the image and it is still the same. This AV200 just became a total brick. Any ideas on what to do? I to try to fix or restore it? I have already contacted CS as well with no response yet. I guess I can only hope they will just replace it with a new one when I ship this off to them or something.

#27 Herby64

Herby64

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

Hello everybody Auch ich habe ein Problem. Welche Bedeutung hat das rote licht? (i too have a problem. the significance of the red light?) Meine Box startet nicht mehr. (My box will not boot). My english ist not the best. Bye Herby (translate by Google)

#28 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

UPDATE: As I was writing my earlier post, my AV200 just went into the red light mode again. So I decided to restore it with the image again for the 4 or 5th time already. Odd was this time, after it completed the restore, as I unplugged the power cable and take out the SD card, then plug the power cable back in, the AV200 started off with blue light and 4-5 seconds later, it turned off into red light again. I did the restore another 3 more times with no success. I then tried using a new SD card and burn the image and it is still the same. This AV200 just became a total brick. Any ideas on what to do? I to try to fix or restore it? I have already contacted CS as well with no response yet. I guess I can only hope they will just replace it with a new one when I ship this off to them or something.

They are working on it, trust me. Mine did the same thing and became a brick that would stick on the boot screen. Its been fixed with pre-released software.

#29 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, USA

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

I have the same problem and it just happened to me last night. After reading this thread I see there is not a fix or am I wrong?

As mentioned above I am trying to do this thru a USB cable but I do not see a "one-button-recovery-function" in Phoenix Sun. Can someone help me out. Thanks.

Can someone help me out here?

#30 phamtridung1601

phamtridung1601

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh, Vietnam

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:28 AM

I also have the same problem. I hope any one introduce the procedure for save the box. I want send back my box to manufacture

#31 Cornel

Cornel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBucuresti, Romania

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

I also have the same problem. I reinstalled SDK but worked only 3 weeks. Is very clear that it is a software problem. Always appears this message: "Vidon.me desktop has stopped"

#32 frisbeedog

frisbeedog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

I'm the latest victim of this Red Light of Death. Is there going to be a fix soon?

#33 mlhotts

mlhotts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:56 AM

Greetings,

All of a sudden, I too am suffering from not being able to boot my player. It just continually shows a red light. I thought it was just me... Any news on what to do?

Thank you.

#34 GregiBoy

GregiBoy

The Wizard of Oz

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • Devices:RT1186 Linux
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.6
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • SDK:v 1.3
  • Android Phone:Medion AP4
  • Android Pad:Medion Lifetab

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:58 PM

Hi Wolly. 

When or where is the normal USB zip upgrade for hardware SDK version v3.1.5 be available?

#35 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:12 AM

Hi GregiBoy, 

Firmware v3.1.5 is not an official release version, let's wait v3.1.6.

#36 GregiBoy

GregiBoy

The Wizard of Oz

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • Devices:RT1186 Linux
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.6
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • SDK:v 1.3
  • Android Phone:Medion AP4
  • Android Pad:Medion Lifetab

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:28 AM

Hi GregiBoy, 

Firmware v3.1.5 is not an official release version, let's wait v3.1.6.

OK. Thanks Wolly..

#37 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:54 AM

cqztq is a member of the forum, we don't know whether the method he provided is right or not. I also didn't see the One-Key Recovery button.

#38 WMConey

WMConey

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • VidOn XBMC:v 14.2.0
  • iPad:Air
  • iOS on iPad:8.1.0
  • Android Phone:OnePlus One

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:28 AM

I have been traveling for a week. Came home tonight, turned on the AV200 - it apparently started up, then shut itself down as my screen displays "No Signal." I restart and it is stuck on the opening VidOn.me splash screen. What am I supposed to do?

So I pressed and held the power button for 10 seconds. The Power light flashed red, then blue / red and the splash screen disappeared. And the screen stays black. So I unplug, plug back in and back to being frozen on the splash screen. I really need a fix for this. I am not going to burn images onto SD cards - I am not VidOn.Me's remote US software engineer. This box should not spoil like rotting fruit when it sits TURNED OFF!

#39 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

[Sigh.....] Ok, I'm back in the US next week....I'll give it a try. Where do I find instructions on how to use the image file?

Here you go: http://vidon.me/supp...eration/91.html

#40 Jakrabt

Jakrabt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMississippi, USA

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

Not sure if this should be a bug report or what but for what it's worth I'll post it here since others seem to be having the same problem. I reported a dead unit after an update and was provided the recovery procedures and an update of the firmware to v3.13. It worked but only after three attempts. I unplugged EVERYTHING from the unit except the power and HDMI cable for the update/recovery. I let the unit sit for about two weeks without turning it on and when I did turn it on I was back to a dead brick again! Frustrating! I thought what the heck and only unplugged the power cable but it would not even turn on at that point. Only when I unplugged the LAN cable did it finally turn on correctly. Unfortunately I had already pressed the reset button so I am not sure what effect that had on it but the LAN and power cable cable on my unit both had to be unplugged before it would operate. I have duplicated this twice now so I am fairly assured this is part of my problem. If any others try this and notice the same behavior or if you discover anything you can add I would appreciate you letting me know. It does seem the maker is trying to iron these things out for us but if we all pitch in our experience with things that WORK I believe we will be able to get to a better solution for ALL of us. Regards fellow AVers!

EDIT: I read the instructions to mean that we use the Phoenix software to prepare a blank SD card of sufficient size with the correct format and to "burn" the firmware update to the SD card for use during the actual firmware update to the device. I did not interpret that the AV device should be directly connected to the computer with any cable. Matter of fact I read that all cable except power cord were to be unplugged. Correct me if I am wrong but using my method of burning the update to the SD card with Phoenix in the PC then plugging the SD card into the AV device was the only method I used to successfully update my firmware. Hope this helps.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users