Photo

0.0.0.5: VidOn XBMC installation & possible stability remedy...

VidOn XBMC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:05 PM

By way of confirmation...

After installing the new version of VidOn XBMC, I was experiencing some stability issues. So I ended up having to perform a 'clean installation', re-boot the box and re-create all my network links, audio settings, etc...

As a side note: After doing the above, my stability issues have gone and I can confirm that playback of my .MKV contained files (stored on my NAS) via SMB is much, much better than with v0.0.0.4

Cheers all and very well done.

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

#2 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:57 PM

Clean installation always bothered most users, sorry for the inconvenience.

#3 bdreams

bdreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:18 PM

I must say thank you guys for a great job I know it's a work in progress and sometime people don't take the time to say that to you guys for the great support you guys have put in this product.

I did my clean install has always works great so far aspect ratio is working but I think it suffers from what the subtitle issue had not retaining the memory, you have to go in and select the desired aspect even though it is already selected. I will continue testing and let you guys know.

side note, it's always the same users complaining every time there is a update makes you wonder what they are doing wrong and instead of trying to work with you guys they complain.

I have options to play my stuff and for the price I paid for my vidon I must say thank you guys for great support because no other box out there can even come close to what you guys are offering .

Have a good day and keep up the good work.
  • fba, Joe and pjah_2004 like this

#4 jstoddard

jstoddard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:30 PM

what are the steps involved in doing a clean install?

#5 bdreams

bdreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:21 AM

Go to settings from main page, then advance settings apps, click on vidon xbmc clear data when finish uninstall the app then reboot. After reboot install the new beta. Then you start the process of setting your files all over again including settings for xbmc if you are using hard drive attached or over the network. The process is not that long good luck

MODERATOR THANKS: Many thanks for taking the time and effort to offer help, it's much appreciated... 
  • jstoddard and Joe like this

#6 fba

fba

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • VidOn XBMC:Old Version
  • SDK:v 1.2
  • Android Phone:Nexus 5, others
  • Android Pad:Galaxy Tab II, others

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:40 PM

bdreams - 

I am glad there are like minded folks out there!  I've never understood people that just complain about something and don't offer to help.   Yes, I understand the angle that you bought this device and you expect it to work for the purpose you have intended.  But, if these people took 10 minutes and Googled a little bit, they would quickly discover that what they want to do isn't as easy as it might seem!  (Blu-ray playback with menus itself is no easy feat.  Just look at how long the people working on libbluray have been working on it for, and how much farther they still have to go!)

Some people may think that they don't have anything to offer in the way of helping.  But, that view is just plain wrong-headed.  If something doesn't work for you, then you are the PERFECT person to help get it fixed!   Engage with the community, provide logs, try different things and report on their success/failure.  (Even if what you try makes no sense!  Sometimes something you say will trigger an idea on someone else that might fix the problem!  Or, it might give a developer a clue they need to understand why their own tests don't seem to turn up the problem!)  But, keep in mind that different issues have different priorities.  Your issue may not be top priority right now, but if you hang in there and keep trying to help it will eventually bubble up and get taken care of!    And, for crying out loud BE POLITE!   There are a lot of people on here not associated with VidOn.me that will try to help you if you just ask nicely and trying to work with them!

Unfortunately, people don't seem to understand how difficult it is to develop any software of even moderate complexity.   And how much more difficult it is to try to take what a user says, reproduce their problem, and get it fixed.   As any mechanic will tell you, people ALWAYS leave out details that they think are obvious.   But, what is obvious to one person may not be to another.   So, mechanics and developers both get to try to be mind readers in addition to being any good a fixing cars or writing software. ;)

- Video system : Sharp 80" 3D TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-70, Definitive Audio Speakers, 40+ TB (hardware RAID 5) Linux server for Blu-ray and DVD ISOs.

- Network : (2x) HP 3400cl switches, HP 1810-24G, Cisco ASA 5520 router/firewall, Aerohive wireless APs

#7 willynanita

willynanita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • iPhone:6
  • iOS on iPhone:9.3.2
  • iPad:3
  • iOS on iPad:9.3.2

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:28 AM

By way of confirmation...

After installing the new version of VidOn XBMC, I was experiencing some stability issues. So I ended up having to perform a 'clean installation', re-boot the box and re-create all my network links, audio settings, etc...

As a side note: After doing the above, my stability issues have gone and I can confirm that playback of my .MKV contained files (stored on my NAS) via SMB is much, much better than with v0.0.0.4

Cheers all and very well done.

Hey SeeMore, what kind of stability issues were you having?

I am planning to do the clean install (already installed 0.5 over 0.4) and I am seeing some sluggish movement if the movie has a panning from left to right or right to left.

Is the clean install recommended for every release?

#8 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:40 PM

Hey SeeMore, what kind of stability issues were you having?

The 'hard-wired' network connection kept dropping out. File navigation and playback was sluggish. All in all, VidOn XBMC felt awkward to use...

Is the clean install recommended for every release?

All in all... When it comes to updating firmware and software on any hardware media player, I always recommend performing a clean installation along with a re-boot!

Cheers

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

#9 willynanita

willynanita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • iPhone:6
  • iOS on iPhone:9.3.2
  • iPad:3