• 117 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA
  • Devices:VidOn Box, AV200
  • VidOn XBMC:Old Version
  • SDK:v 1.2
  • Android Phone:Nexus 5, others
  • Android Pad:Galaxy Tab II, others

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:07 PM

I know there are a few of us on the forum here that are interesting in using Emulators with something like the VidOn box.   I just stumbled on a thread on using XBMC with some plugins on Android for emulators, so I thought I would share it here.  

PLEASE NOTE, I have not tried any of the stuff posted on the forum with the VidOn box.   The stuff labled as needing root won't work with the VidOn box, but it looks like you can do most of what you would normally want using non-root commands.   If/when I get around to trying this, I'll post about my experiences along with any details that might be needed for the VidOn box to handle these emulators.

Anyway, the link for those that are interested :

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2578612

- Video system : Sharp 80" 3D TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-70, Definitive Audio Speakers, 40+ TB (hardware RAID 5) Linux server for Blu-ray and DVD ISOs.

- Network : (2x) HP 3400cl switches, HP 1810-24G, Cisco ASA 5520 router/firewall, Aerohive wireless APs

#2 nexzus

nexzus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

I tried an NES emulator and a Genesis emulator. Both worked fine, but I found input to be extremely laggy from a PS3 controller over USB. Google shows that this is pretty common on Android.

#3 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• VidOn.me Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationBeijing
  • Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.4 Beta
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.6
  • Android Phone:TY K-Touch E88
  • Android Pad:Kindle Fire 1

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:49 AM

Hey guys, 

A while back one of our users wrote up an awesome post about all of this stuff which inspired a few of us at the office to try out emulators here. I have run old Nintendo system emulators, such as NES, SNES and N64, as well as an NDS emulator, which actually worked out quite nicely on the box and was a lot of fun (we were initially weary of the split screen but it turned out well). 

Happy hunting and good luck guys. And please post all of your findings here because at VidOn.me we love old school video games as much as you do!

#4 fba

fba

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:29 PM

nexzus - 

With some dirty hacks, I was able to get an XBox 360 controller working with a NES emulator on the VidOn box.   There didn't seem to be any lag.  I tried to get a PS4 controller working, but never got very far with it.   However, a while ago I ordered a reasonably inexpensive controller off Amazon.com that looks a lot like a PS3 controller, and it seems to work well.   (The controller was in the $25 range.  Mostly because I need something that is wireless.)   There are also a lot of inexpensive controllers from places like Alibaba that seem to work well (and natively) with Android.   If you are serious about doing emulation on Android it might be worth spending a few bucks getting a controller that works natively with Android.  (I posted a link a while ago to the Amazon.com controller I bought.  A quick search should turn it up if you are interested.)

Joe -

Along side the million other things I always have to do, I am working on finding "the best" way to run emulators without needing a large box with a bunch of fans in it.   So far, I have narrowed it down to three choices :

1. A Raspberry Pi using the SD image from PetRockBlog.  (RetroPi, IIRC)

2. An Android device using XBMC and the Rom Manager frontend.   (The VidOn box, AV200, or ODroid-C1 are the boxes I would be testing with.)

3. A quad-core Intel NUC running EmulationStation on Linux.

Ideally, I want to be able to emulate all of the systems I have in my storage room.   Which would be everything from the old NES and Sega Master System, up to the Playstation 2 and original XBox.   I suspect the PS2 and XBox aren't going to happen, but at least the Dreamcast and PS1 should be possible.   (Though I know they aren't possible on the Raspberry Pi, which is why even though I listed it #1 above, it is at the bottom of my list. ;)

I did a little testing on Windows with the XBMC Rom Manager frontend last night, and it seems like it would get the job done for what I need to do.   So, I may play with it a bit on Android tonight and maybe see how the PS1 and Dreamcast emulators work.

One additional "trick" that has to factor in to my efforts is I want to store the ROMs on a central file server so that I don't have to keep copies of them on each machine that I set up.  (I may set it up in more than one room at some point.)  This requirement tends to muddy the water a bit when it comes to getting this effort completed.   But, I am not above hacking up the ROMs on devices to be able to do what I want with a device. ;)

I'm also a big fan of older games.   When I finished my basement last year, I built a MAME cabinet to go in it.   It is a continuous work in progress (I still need to put the coin door on, and the marquee up, along with getting more emulators going), but it is pretty nice so far.   After stripping out the "adult" ROMs, slot machine roms, and other uninteresting ROMs, I have about 1200 games loaded on.   The cabinet is a 4 player setup with RGB LED lit buttons and sticks so the buttons and sticks can match the colors of the original machines.   :tootha:    It has been a lot of fun to put together, and has provided a lot of fun to the kids of my friends and my nieces and nephews (as well as myself and my own family).

When I built it, I even went crazy and bought a tube based CRT to try to get as much of the "original feel" as possible. ;)

I also wired up the basement so that I have the option of piping the output of the arcade machine over to the 80" TV.   So that if I ever have a tournament with friends, they don't all have to huddle around the machine.   But, I have a bit more work that needs to be done on that part before it will work.

- Video system : Sharp 80" 3D TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-70, Definitive Audio Speakers, 40+ TB (hardware RAID 5) Linux server for Blu-ray and DVD ISOs.

- Network : (2x) HP 3400cl switches, HP 1810-24G, Cisco ASA 5520 router/firewall, Aerohive wireless APs

#5 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• VidOn.me Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationBeijing
  • Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.4 Beta
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.6
  • Android Phone:TY K-Touch E88
  • Android Pad:Kindle Fire 1

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:53 AM

Oh my, can I live in your basement fba?

#6 fba

fba

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:33 PM

Unfortunately, there aren't any bedrooms in the basement.   :laugh:

However, should you ever get out to Utah, you are TOTALLY welcome to stop by and hang out for a while!   I'll give you the grand tour and show you all the crazy wiring stuff I did in addition to the other stuff I have mentioned.  :tootha:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: XBMC Addons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users