• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:VidOn Box, Other
  • Devices:WeTeK Play, Zidoo X9
  • VidOn XBMC:v 1.0.0.0
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.7
  • Android Phone:iOcean Rock

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:02 AM

Since a short while ago, I had become a owner of VidOn Box – the professional home media player based on Android OS. It is manufactured by one of main sponsor of XBMC. This device is powered by quad-core Allwinner A31s (Cortex-A7) and PowerVR SGX544 MP2 GPU, 1 GB RAM and 8 GB memory flash.
vidon_27-300x200.jpg
VidOn Box is sold in black box with a gold logo on the top, at the bottom we can see a ifnrmation about the parameters, that I mentioned above. Additionally in the set we found IR remote control with battery CR2032, a power adapter, a user’s manual and VidOn membership card with subscriptions on 12-months.

Design of VidOn Box
VidOn Box is the most beautiful android player, which I had the pleasure to work with it. Cover was made mostly of aluminum (painted in gold color), and plastic elements is black, so that the device looks very stylish. Its shape is the original – this is not simply rectangular with rounded corners, but cross section of strongly oblate spheroid. By the way all you can see in the pictures.
The front panel is created of translucent glossy black plastic that hides the IR sensor and white LED, which indicates the status of the unit.
vidon_24-300x200.jpg
All ports was situated around the back of the device: optical audio output (S-PDIF), 2 USB Host ports, HDMI out, Ethernet and DC Power input. There is no microSD card slot, so the only option to expand memory is connected HDD by USB ports.
vidon_25-300x200.jpg

RCU
The included remote control is not distinguished by anything in particular. Can be found the eleven buttons on it, that allow you to freely navigate through the system and applications.
The remote offers a power button for putting the device into standby and directional buttons with a central “OK” button. Below this is the 3 standard Android buttons – Menu, Back and Home and a volume chenger. However, the pilot is made of rubber coated plastic material, that prevents it from slipping from your hands. Is powered by a CR2032.
vidon_21-300x200.jpg

System
On the device has been pre-installed Android 4.4.2 version. In the system Launcher was changed on new (Vidon Media Center) – personalized to support the RCU. Menu in VMC is split into tree tabs – My Apps, Files and Settings.The device doesn’t have a many preinstalled applications – not included the file manager and older version of VidOn XBMC (Frodo). A very interesting solution is the 1-click installations in My Apps tab in launcher – which can be downloaded with one click. In among these links was Netflix, Pinterest, Hulu Plus, YouTube, and new versions of XBMC VideOn (Gotham) – all of the links were denoted by a small arrow.Of course in the system will find the Google Play. In Vidon Media Center was built media player, file manager (Files tab) where you can browse the shared resources on the network through protocols Samba, NFS, FTP, or DLNA.

Configuration wizzard
Naturally, the first boot of the device appears a configuration wizard (very nice touch) , which in turn choose the basic settings of our Vidon Box. In the first step we have to choose the primary language, configure display resolution, type of connection to the Network, the time zone and audio output. In the last step before we have to login to your account created on VideOn.me and eventually enter the code from the membership card, after which the subscription will be assigned to your account.
vidon_15-300x200.jpg

VidOn XBMC
VidOn company to focused on own version of popular XBMC. XBMC for VidOn subscribers offers some interesting features – including the ability to run DVD and Blu-ray images with full menu navigation. Additionali VidOn XBMC has a passthrough AC3 / DTS 5.1 SPDIF and True HD / DTS-HD HDMI output.
vidon_12-300x169.png
VidOn Box supports any formats (TS, MP4, MKV, AVI, VOB or anything else) and codecs and the same goes with my observations – easily copes with video playback at 1080p with a high bitrate of 60 fps. It is a pity that the processor does not have support for 4K (software decoding), but VidOn Xbmc supports a 1080p Over/Under 3D video playback and this feature works very well.
We can extend the functionality of the XBMC through formal and less formal Add-ons. On website superrepo.org can be found at over 2.400 plugins! Of the most common add-ons we found GENESIS or 1Channel – play a wide selection of movies and TV shows from all world.

Internal Memory and external devices
Vidon Box is equipped with 8 GB of memory. For user is 4.93 GB (divided into two partitions: 0.99 GB and 3.94 GB). It can apparently support up to 8 USB devices simultaneously as long as they are connected via a usb hub with an external power supply, as well as the capability to access an HDD up to 3 TB. Playback from external devices is smooth.

Performance and stability
Android 4.4.2 works very stable. I didn’t have situation where the system hangs or slow down.
Through Allwinner A31s with PowerVR SGX544 GPU the VidOn Box scored 15296 points in Antutu. In Games graphics performance is OK, I preformed this test on Plants vs Zobies 2.

VidOn Membership
VidOn added to set a one year membership. This premium option allow to get OTA updates, Blu-Ray Menu Navigation and HD Audio Passthrough in VidOn Xbmc. For more information, see the comparison here.

App Remote
VidOn creates aplication by which we can operate the device with your phone, if we run XBMC. Also Vidon Box configuration option can be found, where automatically when the device is booted to XBMC. If we want to, then we have to go to the Settings -> General and mark “Start VidOn XBMC upon booting”. Next in XBMC: System->Settings->Services->Webserver to enable „Allow control of XBMC via HTTP.

Summary
Let’s summarize the VidOn Box. It is a decent device – has a good looking and runs stability. Video playes very smooth on it.
+
  • stable system (firmware)
  • design
  • OTA firmware and XBMC upgrades
  • suppport for Bluray Menu in XBMC
  • 3D video support
-
  • lack of 4K hardware video decoding
  • the flash is partitiones
Vidon Box can be purchased directly on Vidon.me for $69.99 including shipping and one free year of membership.

Link to oryginal review: http://wojtekadams.p...don-review_ang/
  • Wolly Xu, Joe, wojtekadams and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users