Photo

0.0.0.4: Poor playback; DVD iso vs mp4 vs mkv

VidOn XBMC

Best Answer SeeMoreDigital , 24 January 2015 - 02:55 PM

Hi, Stephen

The playback issue of the PAL DVD source has been fixed, please wait the new version, now we are waiting the test result.

Great news - can't wait!

I can confirm that this '50Hz processing/outputting issue' has been fixed in firmware 0.0.0.5. Sufficed to say, you will have to manually set the HDMI output of your VidOn Box to one of it's 50Hz options...

The buffering issues I was experiencing via SMB, which affected MKV file playback and chapter navigation are also much improved...

Cheers Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 StephenPeacock

StephenPeacock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Devices:VidOn Box
  • VidOn XBMC:v 0.0.0.5 Beta
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.6
  • SDK:v 1.2

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

Hi all,

I have only had the VidOn box a few days, and I love the xbmc idea, the GUI etc, but I cannot get any consistency with video playback so far.

I think we can safely rule out network issues, since all files discussed play well on the other media device I was hoping to retire (the Tvix N1 Cafe) using the same source location (Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v2), same ethernet and HDMI cabling etc; I've literally replaced the previous device with the VidOn box. Also, all the media plays perfectly on xbmc on my PC over the same network.

I'd be grateful if someone who understands more than I do could have a look and see if there's anything I can do to improve things. This would be such a great device if I could get playback sorted.

iso
Basically none of my DVD iso rips play well, and I would have thought that these would be the simplest for the VidOn to process? Video playback 'jerks' every 2 seconds or so, and audio looses sync after a few minutes also. Unwatchable as it's very disorienting! (Screencapture of the VLC 'current media information' screen for a Northern Exposure dvd iso attached below.)

Attached File  iso - Northern Exposure.JPG   70.61KB   0 downloads

mkv
Very variable but most do not play well (same problem as above but marginally less pronounced) - camera pans are jerky. (The Amazing Spider-Man MediaInfo text attached.
Spoiler

mp4
I have very few mp4's but when 'testing' my library I was astounded to see that one played perfectly - no sync issues and smooth. It's interesting that the bitrate is very similar to the above mkv. (The Amazing Spider-Man 2 text attached.
Spoiler

My VidOn box is outputting 1080p 50Hz to my AV Amp (Yamaha RX-V3900 which will display 24, 50 and 60Hz at 1080p). All the xbmc video playback settings are currently at their defaults. I have tried so many combinations of xbmc settings and the VidOn box video output setting but none give a smooth playback of even a basic dvd iso.

(Audio passthrough, including various HD = perfect!)

If anyone needs any further info, please let me know - I really want to get this box playing!

Cheers,

Stephen

#2 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

• VidOn XBMC:v 15.2.2, v 14.2.1
  • VMC:v 0.0.1.9
  • SDK:v 1.4

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:13 PM

Hi, Stephen

We will look into your problem and give you a feedback tomorrow asap, because now we all off the work and its 21:12 in China.

Thanks for your patient and sorry for any inconvenience.

#3 Dazzlaa

Dazzlaa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

I only received my box today but I can tell you that I watched an entire 3d Blu ray ISO today with not one single stutter/buffer. So don't be disheartened, it must be a simple solution.

I run mine through cat6 Ethernet cables. I updated all my Ethernet cables a couple of weeks back as they were throttling my nas. Since getting them all replaced I'm seeing no issues at all, maybe look into those? Can't understand why you get issues with SD content from a DVD ISO however.

Only thing I have noticed is your output is 1080p 50hz.... Mine is 1080p 24hz

#4 StephenPeacock

StephenPeacock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:45 PM

@Wolly Xu - thank you!  You guys do a great job here and you should be allowed to sleep occaisionally!

@Dazzlaa - I agree that the solution is (hopefully) a simple one; possibly one that'll make me smack my forehead and say d'Oh!!  I am starting to get a bit disheartened - I spent over a month getting all my media xbmc friendly (my wife is VERY understanding when I'm on a 'mission'!). I've not changed any cables purposely since they are both "overspec'd" - the HDMI is 1.4/3D capable although my amp is not 3D capable and the ethernet cabling (all of it) is 5e or 6.  I'll try the default xbmc settings and the android at 24Hz again.

Cheers,

S

#5 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

A/V Encoding Guru and Forum Moderator

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK
  • Devices:See Signature

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

Your (PAL/50Hz) DVD.iso files don't play correctly because the VidOn Box does not currently process and output 50Hz sources correctly!

Your Spiderman .MKV file does not play correctly because who-ever encoded it did not remove the pull-down frames. Your MediaInfo file report confirms that it contains 30.000 frames per second instead of 23.976 frames per second - which is how it was filmed. Indeed, this discrepancy in the frame rates, confirms that something is not right!

Cheers

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

#6 StephenPeacock

StephenPeacock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

@SeeMoreDigital - Thanks for the 50Hz info. Could the PAL/50Hx issue explain why the iso's don't play correctly.  All my TV Series and all my Movie iso's (probably 80% of my library) are PAL DVDs.  Is adding 50Hz support 'close'?

Regarding the encoding to 30fps culprit... that'll be me! My whole library is mine - everything is physically owned and stashed away in my loft.  Looks like I'll be getting a load of them out again - damn! The 30fps is down to me probably not paying enough attention to the software (or not understanding the implications).  Is it likely that the VidOn box will play a 30fps file 'correctly' at some stage? If not then I suppose I'm looking at several months of re-ripping - aaargh! 

#7 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:53 PM

@SeeMoreDigital - Thanks for the 50Hz info. Could the PAL/50Hx issue explain why the iso's don't play correctly.  All my TV Series and all my Movie iso's (probably 80% of my library) are PAL DVDs.  Is adding 50Hz support 'close'?

I hope so...

Is it likely that the VidOn box will play a 30fps file 'correctly' at some stage? If not then I suppose I'm looking at several months of re-ripping - aaargh!

In the case of your 30.000fps rips/back-up's, it's not that the VidOn Box can't play 30.000 fps content. It's that your encodes have been generated with too many frames. Instead of setting your encoding software to discard the two 'pull-down' fields, your encoding software has encoded them.

If you have a software media player installed on your computer that allows you to play video at one frame at a time, you will see two 'repeated frames' constantly though-out your encode...

Once you learn how to spot it, you'll see it occurring all over the place. Especially on 'broadcast TV' in Europe!

Cheers

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear | Please post in-accordance with the Forum Rules

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

DEVICE: VidOn Box · SDK 1.4 · VidOn XBMC 1.0.0.0 (Gotham) and VidOn XBMC 15.2.2 (Kodi/Helix) · VMC (VidOn Media Center) 0.0.1.9 (Gotham)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH I'M A FORUM MODERATOR, I'M NOT A 'VidOn.me' EMPLOYEE. AND AS SUCH, MY COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN!

#8 StephenPeacock

StephenPeacock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:18 PM

In the case of your 30.000fps rips/back-up's, it's not that the VidOn Box can't play 30.000 fps content. It's that your encodes have been generated with too many frames. Instead of setting your encoding software to discard the two 'pull-down' fields, your encoding software has encoded them.

OK... I think I understand his now... the VidOn is actually displaying what's there in the file - extra frames and all - truely a case of 'don't shoot the projectionist'!  Now I'll have to go through all my media and see how many times I've made that particular mistake. Usually I leave the fps setting at ' same as source' but I must have screwed-up on some!

What about my PAL iso's (of which there are many); these are the worst for playback? Is there anything I can do at the moment or do I have to sit tight for a 'PAL-friendly fix'?

Thanks,

Stephen

#9 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:30 PM

What about my PAL iso's (of which there are many); these are the worst for playback? Is there anything I can do at the moment or do I have to sit tight for a 'PAL-friendly fix'?

Like you I have many PAL DVD.ISO files. Provided you've not set your DVD ripping application to 'encode' your PAL DVD sources, you should be fine - they'll all be 25.000fps. And when the VidOn.me developers sort out the 50Hz processing/outputting issue, they'll look fine too...

Cheers

#10 StephenPeacock

StephenPeacock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

OK, I've done some checking...

The vast majority of my DVD iso's were backed up using DVD shrink with no compression so hopefully will be fine in time... though I do wish I had known about the PAL playback issue before buying. It wouldn't have stopped me but would have saved alot of head-scratching and trial-and-error!

All my TS_VIDEO's are reported by MedaInfo to be at 25fps so far, but I'm still on films starting with 'A' so there may be some rogue ones.

Here's something (else) I don't understand... Can you tell me why an mkv (AVC encoding at 30fps) plays smoothly on my PC (VLC or xbmc) but not on the VidOn?

Cheers,

Stephen

#11 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

Here's something (else) I don't understand... Can you tell me why an mkv (AVC encoding at 30fps) plays smoothly on my PC (VLC or xbmc) but not on the VidOn?

I could but it may not be easy to understand. Sufficed to say it's one of the reasons why it's pointless to compare the playback capabilities of dedicated 'hardware media players' (such as the VidOn Box) to 'software media players' in computers.

#12 StephenPeacock

StephenPeacock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:01 AM

Any news from anyone (Wolly Xu?) about when the VidOn box will play PAL files?

#13 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

Any news from anyone (Wolly Xu?) about when the VidOn box will play PAL files?

You might find some of the comments within this existing Q&A: General discussion about Video Frequency/Auto-detect helpful...

#14 Wolly Xu

Wolly Xu

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1792 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:25 AM

Hi, Stephen

The playback issue of the PAL DVD source has been fixed, please wait the new version, now we are waiting the test result.

• hasse61 likes this

#15 StephenPeacock

StephenPeacock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:01 PM

Great news - can't wait!

#16 SeeMoreDigital

SeeMoreDigital

• Honorary Closed Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNotts, UK

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:55 PM   Best Answer

Hi, Stephen

Great news - can't wait!

I can confirm that this '50Hz processing/outputting issue' has been fixed in firmware 0.0.0.5. Sufficed to say, you will have to manually set the HDMI output of your VidOn Box to one of it's 50Hz options...

The buffering issues I was experiencing via SMB, which affected MKV file playback and chapter navigation are also much improved...

Cheers

#17 hasse61

hasse61

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:29 PM

Hi.

Just tried XBMC 0.0.0.5 beta with some of my pal dvd-iso´s,that were unwatchable before.Now they seem to be running very smooth in this new XBMC version.

As a double-check, when played under "FILES"  with VMC they still are unwatchable.

Thanks alot for this fix,was the most severe bug on my VidOn-boxes.

Very happy with your work.

Regards Hasse

#18 StephenPeacock

StephenPeacock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

Only tested a few files, but... so far... A BIG improvement - well done Team VidOn!!!

Thank you! :good:

Just a quick reminder to folks who have just upgraded to 0.0.0.5... you need to go through your audio output settings again and set everything according to your need as the upgrade resets these to default settings.

For a moment I was concerned that I had lost passthrough of HD audio (my amp was only getting 2 channels from the VidOn), but a quick check and re-setting of the various settings and I'm getting DTS-HD Master where the source contains it.

Cheers!

• Joe likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VidOn XBMC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users